Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Replacement Gasket?

Options
Stooge
Stooge Posts: 6
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
RIP BGE felt gasket! What's the best replacement?

Comments

• Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    I am going NAKED next time. Just close the lid gently.
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Options
    I got the nomex gasket from [url]Http://high-que.com[/url] it was easy to install ad the adhesive is attached to the gasket.

There are other opinions like-
    Rutland/copper adhesive
    BGE high temp plus super 77
    Nomex plus super 77
    Naked with no gasket
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    and a couple others:

-nomex plus hi-temp silicone ('copper') adhesive

-formed silicone adhesive by itself

(BGE's hi-temp is nomex, FWIW)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Toaster_Head
    Options
    I just changed out mine this weekend. Went for the Nomex, (my flight suit is made of the same stuff) I got mine from my local BGE dealer. I discovered that using a pulmice stone will clean off 99% of the old gasket/glue residue. I found these stones at Lowes in the BBQ section, it's sold as a grill scraper/cleaner... get a couple of them. It will take a whole one to do the top and another for the bottom. Didn't bother playing with the acetone, didn't seem useful since I got almost all the crap off with those stones. My new gasket went on with no problems, used the Super77 and tonite I'll know if the fix was good.

OBTW... be careful using a razor knife when cutting a "welded shut" egg apart. The felt gasket has much more give than you will anticipate, thus the knife can pull free quickly and cut your other thumb :pinch: if it's in the way...and you'll need stiches to fix that. :S