Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt was outstanding!

Options
Buckeye Fan
Buckeye Fan Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is my first try at posting a picture so bear with me. I smoked my first pork butt on Sunday. It turned out fantastic! I followed the Naked Whiz method, thanks buddy. I used Dizzy Dust Coarse and the bark was outstanding. It was kinda small for a butt only 5-1/2 pounds cooked 11 hours. We had a small group so it worked out. Next time I think I would try two 6 pounders side by side I guess it would take about the same amount of time to cook? My buddy Jerome said it smelled and tasted better than any big named BBQ restaurant he has ever been to! Best butt he has ever had! Not bad for my first attempt, I love it when a plan comes together.

IMG_1412.jpgIMG_1413.jpg

Comments

• tnels
    tnels Posts: 75
    Options
    Another Buckeye fan here...Good looking cook. Nice diversion from recent "troubles".

Pork butt is my go-to overnight cook for home football games. Pull it off, double wrap in foil, pack in a cooler and head down to the tailgate.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Looks great! Congrats on the first butt. Two butts side by side won't change the cooking time.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    Nice Butt. Glad it came together. Speaking of coming together. How are things coming together for Jim Tressel? :laugh:
  • Lobicho
    Lobicho Posts: 557
    Options
    Wooow!!!
    Greaaat Job!!!
    Thats a tasty loooking but!!!
    how where the sandwiches? or how was it served?
  • Buckeye Fan
    Options
    I double foiled the butt wrapped in a towel and into a cooler for one hour. Unwrapped and pulled with two forks added just a little Sweet Baby Ray's sauce cause most people didn't want to lose the flavor of the meat by loading the sauce. We had a bowl of sauce for those that wanted extra on the table. Also kept a plate of meat with no sauce at all. Used plain white buns no fancy ones with sesame seeds for show just something to clean your hands clean while we enjoyed the pork. Served with potato salad and wify's homemade cole slaw dressing. Didn't take any pic's of the feast got too caught up with good friends enjoying the meal!
  • Buckeye Fan
    Options
    Tnels,

Yes, some bad times in Buckeye Land right now. I am from Dayton and live in Chicago now. I bleed scarlet & gray so it is tough these days.

Buckeye
  • transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    Sure looks like you aced it!!
  • tnels
    tnels Posts: 75
    Options
    I'm closer to the carnage. Work at OSU Med Center. You can feel the malaise while walking around campus.