Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

can't get EGG past 450 degrees

THK
THK Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What am I doing wrong? I can't get my large BGE to go above 450 degrees.
I've tried cleaning out the ash and increasing the fuel.
anyone have any helpful ideas?

Comments

• Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    Have you taken out the insides completely (fire ring, fire box, and grate) to get rid of all of the ash?
  • surveyor
    surveyor Posts: 124
    Make sure all of the holes in the fire box are clean sometimes they get clogged, also the hole in the grate can be plugged with ash
  • THK
    I have taken it apart and thoroughly cleaned it. No holes are plugged. I am using an electric starter and leaving the grill open for 15-20 min, until I see white charcoal. Then what do I do. This is where I only get 450.
  • Pjoe
    Pjoe Posts: 224
    I had that problem a few days ago and i figured out it was all of the "dust" that was in the bottom of the bag ofnlump that I dumped in blocking the air flow. A little work with a wiggle rod and I got it blazing. No air flow = no heat.

Bill
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
  • MeatMatt
    MeatMatt Posts: 16
    What kind of lump are you using? With the daisy cap off, and bottom vent wide open you should be hitting 700 or more.
  • THK
    Yeah, I don't even use the last little bit in the bag because of all the "dust". So, that didn't help, either.
  • Rezen73
    Rezen73 Posts: 356
    Couple of tips:

Make sure you don't just dump in s bag of lump. When you put the lump in, "build" it with intention... e.g. Make sure the bigger pieces are at the bottom with plenty of air flow. Only use the small pieces around the edges (if at all).

Be careful not to over fill it either.

also, in my experience, the egg gets hottest with the lid closed but the cap/vent taken off.

Another thing, is your lump moist? Is it humid where you live? Do you store your lump outside? Etc.

Finally what kind of lump are you using? Some lump doesn't burn as well as other lump.

Cheers
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    You say "open"? You should have the lid closed with both vents open. You wont get the high temps with the lid open.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    THK: The prior responses are helpful. You mentioned you had the egg completely apart to clean out the ash. When you put it back together, are you sure you got the opening in the firebox aligned with the bottom vent door? And you remembered to put the grate back in the bottom of the firebox before filling? :huh:
  • Little Chef nailed it I'm betting. Make sure that you are lining up the bottom opening in the firebox with the bottom vent opening in the egg(the lower vent). That's what is usually the problem when this happens.