Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt cook time...

Options
bamarob
bamarob Posts: 46
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my egg for about a year and half and have cooked probably 6 or 7 butts. Each time I have cooked one it has taken much longer than expected to reach the 195-200 degree butt temp. I am generally cooking it at 222-250 give or take a little and it usually takes as much as 2.5-3.5 hours per pound. Most of the butts I have cooked are around 5-7 lbs.

Is that normal cook time or should it be faster?

Comments

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I would check your thermometer calibration. Butts range from 1-2 hours per pound at 250 dome temp, but are almost always 1.5 hr/lbs for me.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    Options
    I use 2hrs/lb as a general rule, but things and butts do vary. I put a 7.5# butt on last night at 7 pm, pulled it this morning at 9 am, 14 hours. Just about two hours/lb. I maintained the cook temp at around 250* until it came out of the plateau, then bumped it up to 275-300* for the final hours. Butt is now resting in the cooler.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    I cooked a few butts always at 250-270 and have always ended up with 1.5 hours per pound. Love that speed at those temps.