Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Mistake (the egg is not the mistake)

Options
MeatosBanditos
MeatosBanditos Posts: 259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
SO...I moved from MN to CO this past December and was planning on doing a brisket tomorrow AM. Only to find tonight that I don't have my platesetter!

Called my family in MN and they checked for the platesetter and sure enough it's in MN. I left it buried in 2' of snow when we moved I guess. Still can't believe I did that.

My question for the forum is this:

I bought my BGE XL back in 2008 I believe (before they redesigned it). Tomorrow AM I plan on contacting some local BGE dealers to see if I can purchase a new platesetter--but, will that new one fit my older XL? Didn't they redesign them? Or will it fit and actually be better?

I've got a brisket and a dozen thighs that need to be cooked this weekend!

Any comments are greatly appreciated!

Comments

• PA Dutch Egger
    Options
    Your dealer should be able to answer that question. If you purchase it make it with the stipulation you and return it if it does not fit and has not been used.
  • Reverend BSB
    Reverend BSB Posts: 157
    Options
    It probably will not work. After the redesign we had a customer buy a new platesetter for his old XL and complained that it would not fit properly. He was an idiot though, so maybe he could just not make it work. When I bought my XL it was an old floor model with the old insides and I could not find an old platesetter. I wrote to BGE asking if they could find me and old PS, they sent me the new insides free. It might be too late for that though, but maybe they could find you an old PS. Until then I did my first XL brisket on a slightly raised rack over a pizza stone, you could do the same with a pan.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    do you have the pizza stone? I would get that if you do not. add a second level with anther grid and you are set to go. we have woos or adj rigs on all ours and have not used any of the plate setters in a long time. that is on lg and med and sms.... no xl :(
  • Austin Egger
    Austin Egger Posts: 256
    Options
    If you have an extra grid then take some bolts and set it up for a 2 tier cook and get some fire bricks or the pizza stone and put it on the first level. You can rig it up pretty quick if you can find a store to get the fire bricks. ;)
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Options
    It WILL fit.

I had the previous version of the XL inards and had to replace my platesetter. The new platesetter has longer legs putting the grid at the felt line. If you eventually replace the firebox with the new version the grid will drop down a bit.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Go to one of the box stores and buy a Weber 22" cooking grid and a couple bricks.
    Use the bricks to raise the Weber grate and place a big heavy duty foil pan under for your indirect piece. You can later add 3 bolts to the 22" grid for a raised grid.
    Don't spend a big bill on another platesetter.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • MeatosBanditos
    Options
    Thanks--

I was able to find one this morning. The three places I called all had no idea if it would fit or not. But they did say I could return it if it doesn't fit. I dropped it in knowing that the three feet on the PS would be a bit taller. It has enough clearance to close the dome even though with the feet up and the grate on it sits about an inch above the gasket.

I do have a BGE Pizza Stone and I should have thought to use that--I was too irritated last night at myself to be rational I guess. My mistake cost me $89.95 and I'm sure I'll never forget that part in the next move!

I may try and contact BGE about getting the new stones to fit better in the BGE. That's a great idea and I wouldn't mind having a new set and a spare set.

Thanks again for all the feedback.

john B)