Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh Picnic??

BB1857
BB1857 Posts: 131
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey everyone. I was just at the market getting a couple of Boston Butts for a weekend BBQ and right next to them were Fresh Picnics. They were $1 a pound cheaper then the butts. I dont have any experience with these. Has anyone ever done a slo and lo with these and how do they compare with the Butt? Thanks and Happy Memorial Day Weekend to everyone!!

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Picnics indeed smoke up nice for some good pulled pork. IMO, they aren't quite as good as butts. FYI....picnic is the lower portion of the shoulder, with the butt being the upper. When I was a teen and cutting my BBQ teeth, we used whole shoulder, then chopped and mixed it all in together.
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Cook them just like you would your boston butts. They have a little more ham flavor but they do good for PP. Good luck to all.
  • BB1857
    Thanks so much for the info guys. I am going to give one a shot.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Personally, I like them a little better than butts. The yield is a little smaller, but I think the texture and flavor of the meat is better. And, for whatever reason, they usually cook a lot faster than a similar sized butt.
  • I agree, I like the picnics better too. I would always buy a picnic over a butt, plus it's cheaper.

See the bone?

P7033112.jpg\\There are several bones in there, but when it's ready, you can pull the bone right out.  Good luck and let us know how you like picnics after this.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • BB1857
    I just bought two and have bgwm sitting in the rub now. Going to start the cook tomorrow night. I saw someone said they cook faster. How much faster? I am shooting for them being done around 10am so they can rest for a few hours. They are 9 lbs each.
  • Brian, I don't know about faster, still cook it till it begins to fall apart when you stick a fork in it. Cook the same as you would a butt, you can't really overcook it.

I always cook ahead of time, so there is no room for error.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    I like them just as much. Skin stays tough , neverreally becomes edible, but peels right off. I score it to get rub and smoke in there a bit (skin side)

It's from the same foreleg, just a little lower, below the butt end and above the shank
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Gee Ron,

Did they have fire back then? ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON