Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork

Options
Royal Coachmen
Royal Coachmen Posts: 283
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I don't have an egg get but am considering a purchase soon. I'm a new griller and have made some tasty meats, but cannot get pulled pork figured out. If you were cooking this on a weber kettle how would you do it? I'm trying to improve technique and will try taking an Egg 101 class soon. Thanks all!!

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I think on a Weber, you would build a small fire on one side, put the butt on the other side and every 30 minutes or so, add a few briquettes to the fire to keep it going. I think if I were going to do that I might just get an El Cheapo Brinkman to do the pulled pork.
    The Naked Whiz
  • SheepDog
    SheepDog Posts: 176
    Options
    Check this smoker out, would make a great weekend project. Would probably work better than the Webber.

Alton Brown Smoker
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I have cooked several hundred mighty tasty butts on a weber kettle.Split fire(small fire on each side),drip pan in the middle(under butt, on the charcoal grate,adding a little liquid is fine,do not let the drip pan run dry)add briquettes as needed to maintain your desired temp.Leave top vent open and adjust botton vents as need to maintain temp.Easy Peasey. ;) Good Luck.I did it that way for 25+ years.Don't drive yourself crazy tryin to keep an exact temp.225-350 is fine.I try to stay between 250 and 300 if possible.Pull it when the internal temp of the butt hits 195-200 or when the bone will pull (cleanly) out of the butt.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Pulled pork on a Weber is a pita. Did it before I got the egg.

Buy a pair of those metal brackets that clip to the charcoal grate.

19401.jpg

Though you could probably do it without them, I think they're under 10 bucks.

Light some lump in a chimney starter and put 15-20 briquettes on either side of the charcoal grate - behind the brackets.

Place the butt in the center of the cooking grate and add charcoal as needed during the cook.

Done is done, so pull the meat when it reaches 195°.

As for Alton Brown, I have one of those too. Easier and better than the Weber. Cost me about $70 for the flower pots, grid, temp gauge and hot plate.

a-little-brown-egg-in-Maine-terra-cotta-smoker.jpg

Just buy an egg and do it right!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Smokinb
    Smokinb Posts: 103
    Options
    Even a Guinness can't dress up that egg wannabe.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You'd be surprised how good the butt is, my friend. Very tasty - and no lump to mess with. Given the choice, I'll take the egg, but the flower pot ain't bad.

Unless you want to SEAR something. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    Hoss is spot on, but also keep in mind you can transfer it to the oven at 250deg, on a rack over a drip pan after a few hours of smoking on the kettle. No shame at all.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    You could try one of these: http://smokenator.com/.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.