Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recommended Replacement Gasket

Options
eatbbq
eatbbq Posts: 81
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been away from the forum for 2 or 3 years, I can't remember exactly. I haven't had time to use the eggs for more than a quick steak occasionally. I was going to replace my gasket on the XL and the Small a couple of years ago, but I seem to recall that there were issues with the material being used. I think they were just starting to use the Nomax (??not sure if that is the right name??). Can anyone tell me how this is holding up, or if there is something else recommended. My original gaskets are pretty well burned off. Thanks for any help, and good to be back looking at the forum, and hopefully more egging.

Comments

• pci
    pci Posts: 249
    Options
    I don't do many high temp. cooks but have had the nomax for a year. No problem yet.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    My feeling is there is more problems with the adhesive rather than the gasket material itself.

Nomex is BGE's solution, just high temperature silicone is being used, Rutland is used as a replacement and Cotoronic is being used as a replacement.

I have stayed with the felt and move the meat closer to the lump level to get those high temperatures without taking the dome to high temperatures.

GG
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Options
    I got the high temp Nomex gasket from http://high-que.com/ The advantage to me is that it has an adhesive tape applied, it goes on like tape without having to use spray adhesive or ultra copper like others.

Its only been on for one day so I haven't cooked on it yet.
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Rutland gaskets are very good. Available at ACE hardwares [you want the flat stuff, not the rope]
    You only have to apply it to the base. :)
  • Chadly
    Chadly Posts: 1
    Options
    BGE sent me a nomex gasket. I just installed it today, they recommend 3M Super 77 spray adhesive to attach it, I used a similar product made by Permatex, that is recommended for high temperatures.

After a cure for a day or so, it will be put through a moderate temperature purge of about 400 degrees for several hours, and then cooled, followed by several other lower temp, but longer time runs to try and get the adhesive to off-gas completely before I use it to cook.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Nothing!

Seriously, I haven't had a gasket in years and haven't missed it a bit.
  • eatbbq
    eatbbq Posts: 81
    Options
    Jeffersonian wrote:
    Nothing!

Seriously, I haven't had a gasket in years and haven't missed it a bit.

Thanks for all the replies, and this(no gasket) is sort of the way that I have been operating, but today for the first time in a few years I decided to do some ribs and the amoung of smoke coming out of the seams was amazing, also had some trouble keeping the temp constant, so I thought maybe a gasket would help. That being said, I think if I removed the rest of the remnants of the old gasket I would get less leakage as it is up in some areas where the gasket remains.

Thanks all, I am hoping my ribs will still be great, another hour to go.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I think you're on to something there. I smoke things like bacon all the way down to 150* and never have an issue with it wanting to climb due to leakage. Get rid of that gasket...and just be a little careful closing the dome from now on and you'll be fine.
  • skihorn
    skihorn Posts: 600
    Options
    I have gone through several phases of cooking with no gasket. I could tell no difference in how it cooked. I could see a noticeable difference in how quickly it shut down. Not having gaskets left me with less lump for next time. I also recently let the handle slip on my Medium and it slammed shut. Although it might have been fine anyway, I was glad the gasket softened the blow.

After going through multiple felt gaskets I have no had nomex on both Eggs for well over a year and I do high temp (700) at least twice a month.
    Freddie
    League City, TX
  • BigGreenDawg
    BigGreenDawg Posts: 327
    Options
    Once going through getting it all put on (I used the 3M stuff too) I've been very pleased with the Nomex, no problems after a couple years now. I think you can go with or without but I'm just more comfortable having a gasket on there probably from so many years using lesser charcoal grills that I never could get all the holes sealed.