Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I need HELP - Tender baby rack ribs

Options
makitabrad
makitabrad Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Yes; I am a new Egghead as I bought my large egg about 4 weeks ago. I have cooked ribs twice on the egg and each time they were rather tough. What am I doing wrong? I am using the plate setter and cooking at around 215-225. The 1st time I cooked them for about 4 hours, the 2nd time for a little more than 3 hours. Both times they were tough, but probably less when I cooked them for 4 hours. Other than the rub, I really don't do anything except add BBQ sauce for the last 15 minutes. I know some people say smoked ribs don't have to be fall off the bone, but I really want very tender ribs. HELP?????

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    makitabrad,

You are undercooking the ribs. Your dome temp is considerably higher than your grid temp. Go to 250 dome and do the ribs for 5 hours or until you can pick them up with tongs and they bend in half with little or no resistance, where the "feel" like they are going to break.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Don't cook to time... cook to temperature, check the meat with a probe, use the bend test (never works for me), watch for meat pull back on the bone. At those low of dome temperatures I am wondering if you are not cooking long enough.

GG
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    You are not cooking near long enough. BB's take at least 5hrs, sometimes 6. I have three racks on right now that I put on at 1 o'clock and am planning to eat about 7.
    Here are a couple of tips. When ribs are done the meat will start to pull back from the bone. You should see about 1/2" bone.
    Afull rack will also bend easily in the middle when ready. Just lift them with a pair of tongs, if they bend double they are done, if not put them back.

Also, you are cooking just a little low, kick your dome temp up to 250, ribs and butts love 250!

Resist the urge to open the dome "just to check". The egg knows what it is doing better than you, so leave it alone. Opening just slows down the cook even more.
    Don't get discouraged, you will get it and they will be the best you ever had :) :P :cheer:
  • makitabrad
    Options
    That is good to know. Do you just measure the grid temp by laying a digital probe on the grid. Seems like you wouldn't want it to touch the metal or does that not matter?
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Don't worry about the grid temp, just get the dome at 250 and you are good to go. When most of us state a particular temp, we are talking dome.
    Google Maverick thermometers and order yourself a model 732. This is their lated model, it comes with a grid probe and a meat probe as well as a remote receiver. Not really necessary for ribs but great for butts, roasts, whole chickens, and much more.
    BTW, Welcome Aboard!! :) :cheer:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Cook them longer
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Go by dome temp, 250
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tjl5709
    tjl5709 Posts: 76
    Options
    Get yourself the above probe/thermometer.

Follow this recipe. It is world class.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/06/baby-back-rib-class.html
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Man,

People tend to over-complicate things. Just be one with the egg. Couple of degrees either side of approximate will not hurt anything. ;)

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Little Steven wrote:
    Just be one with the egg.

T-shirt-worthy! :lol::lol::lol:

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I cooked the BEST ones I've ever cooked last Sunday.7 hours between 235 and 350.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1093905&catid=1
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It's not always a popular answer, but you might want to try a foil stage. The Recipe section in the little green cookbook has some instructions for Dr. BBQ. I have cooked them this way except I usually go around 275 and extend the times until they look done. My father in law made some at 325 the other night and everyone loved them. You just have to be a little careful because you can overdo the foil stage and they will be too fall-aparty.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    I agree with others. Your not cooking them long enough and your temp should be around 250 but doesnt have to be exact. On the foil topic, I do like to foil for 1 hr. 321 Ribs at 250 degrees never fails me. I think the 1 hr in foil really helps to tenderize them but I've only been doing this for 2 hrs.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • makitabrad
    Options
    Is it the last hour? I assume you just wrap them in foil and place back on the egg.
  • BigGreenDawg
    BigGreenDawg Posts: 327
    Options
    3-1-1 is foiling during the middle hour while the last hour you finish them up to doneness and getting the sauce to your liking. I like sauce after it has cooked on the ribs for 20-30min.which is the last thing I do before pulling them. Some only sauce at on the side or after pulling.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Here is a video by Uncle Phil. He suggest 275 dome temp. 3 hours on the egg, 90 minutes in foil "packets", then another 20 minutes or so back on the grid and sauce em.

http://vimeo.com/928412

I have followed this method several times and they have always turned out great.

Here is another similar recipe on the BGE site (same as in the book)
    http://www.biggreenegg.com/backyard.html

...I thought 325 seemed a bit high, but as I mentioned my FIL followed this recipe and said they were outstanding. I'm gonna give this a try for my next cook. I mean...if I can eat sooner...why not!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• JamRWS6
    JamRWS6 Posts: 9
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Ok, i've got my 2nd try for baby back ribs (had the egg for a little over 2 months).  FIrst time I did 2 hours indirect at 200-225, 1 hour in foil w/ apple juice, and then finished another hour out of foil and then sauced them. (2-1-1).  The meat was tough but the flavor was good; maybe I'm thinking wrong but when the meat is tough i'm thinking they are overcooked.

Right now I'm trying the CWM method I've had a slab on at 200-225 for 3 hours and now have it at 250 for another hour. (Just as in the CWM guide).  I'm a little concerned i'm going to overcook these at this point and I don't want them tough like they were last time.  Should I keep them going and they will be more tender?  I've tried the bend test and I can't tell anything.  It seems to me like they were bending in half at 2 hours.

I've checked the egg thermometer against a instant read and it is reading 10-15 degrees lower than the dome temp.  Ideas on what i'm doing wrong here?  Sorry for the long post, just want these to turn out tender.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,389
    Options
    In addition to the bend test, try using a toothpick into the meat-easy in and out, ribs are ready. The tendency is to undercook as no one initially thinks ribs take as long as they do. All the above advice is on the mark. Good luck-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JamRWS6
    JamRWS6 Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks lou.  I ended up pulling half the slab after about 4hrs 15min as the wifey was hungry.  I left the other half on the egg for another 20-30 mins.  The first half wasn't bad but the 2nd half was much more tender.  Can't wait to try these again and leave them on for 5ish; I think at that point they'll be perfect.  Overall definitely satisfied w/ today's cook and see some room for improvement.  Happy egg'n.
  • CrazyHarry
    CrazyHarry Posts: 112
    Options
    I cooked baby back ribs yesterday (using Car Wash Mike's method) and had them on the grill for a bit over 5 hours at around 225.  I have a medium Egg so I had to cut two racks in half and they looked like they would be overdone, but I was pleasantly surprised!  They were cooked perfectly.

My wife said these were the best ribs I've made in a LOOONG time.  (Ribs have always been very hit or miss for me using my old Weber.  The Egg makes it so much easier!)
  • Salty Hogs BBQ
    Salty Hogs BBQ Posts: 171
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I have used CWM's method in the past, but I prefer the Johnny Trigg method/recipe better.  I had the pleasure of competing next to Johnny Trigg in a GA competition before and I tasted his ribs.  Best I have ever ate.

Johnny Trigg's Ribs

Since it is babybacks you were asking about, I would use the 2-1-1 method
    at 225-250 degrees in the Egg with some apple chunks.  Personally I prefer St Louis cut and rarely do babybacks.

Step 1:

1-1 1/2 hours before cook, apply mustard and rub, then refrigerate
    (start your fire now and get temp to 225-250. Add your chunks of apple wood
    if you are using it).

Step 2:
    2 hours no foil with yellow
    mustard and my favorite rib rub (Butchers Honey Rub mixed evenly with
    Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust).

Step 3:
    Spray with 3 parts apple
    juice to 1 part apple cider every 30-45 mins.

Step 4:

After 2 hours, double foil with brown sugar, Parkay squeeze margarine,
    honey, onion powder, and Tiger Sauce (or you can use your favorite hot sauce like Texas Pete, Tabasco, etc.) on both sides.  Cook meat side down
    after foiling--meat side up when not foiled).  

Step 5:

After 1 hour, take foil off.

Step 6:
    Bump temp up to 275-300 and cook for 30 minutes
    then apply my favorite rib BBQ sauce (Blues Hog original and Blues
    Hog Tennessee Red--50/50 mix).  

Step 7:
    Cook for another
    30 minutes or until it is done (I use the bend test and see how far the
    meat has pulled from the bone--plus make sure the bone is white). 

Cooking times are approximate.  Sometimes it takes a little longer.  Just use the toothpick or bend test to know when it is really done.
  • BBrady79
    Options
    Sprinkle the ribs with either lime juice or lemon juice too. The enzymes  will tenderize the meat helping it to break down. I like 300 degree temps too.
  • LostinQn
    LostinQn Posts: 21
    Options
    I use a recipe from Adam Perry Lang,and its pretty similar to Johnny Trigg's.  the only real difference apart from types of rubs & sauces, is he lets the ribs sit in a foil packet for  1 hour after he cooks them in a foil packet for 1 hour, so its a 2-1-1-1 system rather then a 3-1-1. This process works for me every time, even though i change the rub/ingredients up quite a bit depending on what i feel like doing. My best is still a honey/chipotle sauce that i make myself, but the process works great.

Link
    Lang's Baby Backs with Honey Apple BBQ Sauce
    http://tastydesu.wordpress.com/2010/10/27/baby-back-pork-ribs-glazed-with-honey/