Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Amazing Before/After Shot of Joplin

bayouegger
bayouegger Posts: 287
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Photographer Aaron Fuhrman used Google Maps for the before and took the after shot.

after.jpg

More pictures here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeitlosimagery

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Unreal... :(

Our land is sure taking a beating lately.
  • That's brutal. We are being told to be off the streets by 4:00 PM today as severe weather is eminent. It's rare that they say things like that so we'll see what happens.

BD
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    When I was a kid living in Omaha Nebraska my elementry school, Westgate Elementry, and many block around were leveled by tornado. We had damage to our house but only a few houses up the damage was bad. Some houses leveled to the ground. It was a long time ago. I remember cars on houses and in trees. Our school, on top the hill, was almost gone. I remember standing where the gym was in the school. The only reason you could tell it was the gym was because of the sports marks on the floor. The walls were all gone. I believe I was in 4th grade. We made many trips to the basement each year.
    The photos above are very different. It looks like the area was vacuumed away.
    This was a very bad storm. 2011 has been a bad year for tornado and floods.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Best wishes to you and your family Bruce.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Photo Egg wrote:
    When I was a kid living in Omaha Nebraska my elementry school, Westgate Elementry, and many block around were leveled by tornado. We had damage to our house but only a few houses up the damage was bad. Some houses leveled to the ground. It was a long time ago. I remember cars on houses and in trees. Our school, on top the hill, was almost gone. I remember standing where the gym was in the school. The only reason you could tell it was the gym was because of the sports marks on the floor. The walls were all gone. I believe I was in 4th grade. We made many trips to the basement each year.
    The photos above are very different. It looks like the area was vacuumed away.
    This was a very bad storm. 2011 has been a bad year for tornado and floods.

May 5th 1975. I will never forget it! I was thirteen years old and delivering papers right behind Creighton Prep High School which was leveled. Thanks to a lady on my route she dragged me into her house and put me under their pool table in the basement. Her house lost a section of the roof but houses one block away were leveled. My high school girlfriend lived in the Westgate area and their house was a total loss. To say my mom was freaked out when I got home is an understatement!! My prayers go out to those poor people in Joplin and the entire south. This has been a terrible storm season so far.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Unbelievable destruction happening all over this earth.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • brownbw
    brownbw Posts: 154
    Reminds me of all the damage here in Alabama. Sad. Thoughts and prayers to all who were affected.
    Opelika, AL
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    About a year ago we had an EF0 come down squarely in our back yard, run up between our house and the neighbor's, then down our street. The damage was fairly minor (for us at least), but the number of trees down, roofs ruined, etc. made me never want to see what anything stronger would do.
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Oh my - I cannot imagine this. It is so hard to understand why. Prayers offered constantly for those affected by these tornadoes. I'm speechless at these photos.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    O.M.G.! That is undescribable.Thoughts and prayers to all affected. :(
  • Photo Egg
    Mike is the name of my best friend in Omaha.
    They lived north of me on Barbara Street closer to the direct path but were not home when the tornado hit. Sounds like Mike is a lucky name.
    Can not imagine what your parents or you went through. We were very lucky.
    The tornado bounced off the rail road berm and finally went through the open area where the creek passed. We would have been in the direct path if would have jumped over direct.
    Some times luck is all you have.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    What a terrible thing. I have been in a couple tornado's but nothing of that magnitude.

FWIW...It doesnt look to be the same corner to me.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Photo Egg wrote:
    Mike is the name of my best friend in Omaha.
    They lived north of me on Barbara Street closer to the direct path but were not home when the tornado hit. Sounds like Mike is a lucky name.
    Can not imagine what your parents or you went through. We were very lucky.
    The tornado bounced off the rail road berm and finally went through the open area where the creek passed. We would have been in the direct path if would have jumped over direct.
    Some times luck is all you have.

No doubt about the luck Darian. Do you by chance remember the Peck or Lindsey family? Mark Peck would have been about your age. I played hockey with Tommy Lindsey, he was a year older than me and you might remember the picture of him coming home to his dad that made national news. He was on his way to work at AKSARBEN when the storm hit and he came back to a leveled home, pushing his bike, and his dad rushing out to hug him. Small world my friend!

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Photo Egg
    Very small world. I do not know the people you mentioned but I do remember the picture of Tommy.
    My friend mike did have an older brother and sister.
    Scott and Debbie Beier.
    The last time I was in Omaha was 1992. My aunt still lives in Belview. My uncle was military at SAC Air Force Base.
    Just did a google map walk around. Wow. All the memories coming back.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Think that is the point :sick:
  • Bacchus
    Thanks for the tip. :huh:

I mean I literally don't think it is the same corner.
  • Photo Egg
    Look at this view.
    Still might not be spot on but close.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeitlosimagery/5753088972/in/photostream
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Bacchus
    I could very well be mistaken. I was just thinking the elevation change was different as the street comes up towards the corner. And this first one appears to be a street corner, whereas the scond one looked like a staight with the guy standing at a driveway entrance. Earlier pic has an elevated curb where second one looks flat.

Anyway, didnt mean to distract from the intent. No matter where it is, many people are suffering, with several still missing from what I understand.
  • Photo Egg
    I agree. It does not look spot on. The corner does look like higher ground in the before photo. The google street views could be many years out of date or it just could be off by a block. Good eye man.
    We saw one of the Google Earth mobile units a few weeks ago. It had a big multi camera unit mounted on the top of the car.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas