Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lets talk chicken breast

NoleC5
NoleC5 Posts: 176
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, so I feel I've got a pretty good handle on this egg thing....have had many more success then failures but really want to perfect things.

When doing chicken breasts, I typically go direct at around 400. I sometimes go with a raised grid but don't seem to get the nice color/char that I like. Flavors are there but I seem to have an issue getting really tender, juicy chicken. Its not necessarily dry...maybe chewy? It may just be the fact that it's boneless/skinless chicken breast but want to be sure. I've been pulling them at 160 (thermapen) but wonder if I'm pulling to soon or possibly not soon enough (carry over?). Any thoughts? Also, does using wood chips affect the texture?

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Boneless,skinless,fuggetaboutit.You may try brining for a couple hours prior to grillin.It helps.Bonless/skinless needs ALL the help it can get. :blink:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Marinade in plain yogurt with a few spices for 4-6 hours. You'll get a nice crust that keeps in a lot of moisture and adds some flavor.

I like to add chili powder and cumin, or you can add indian spices, or herbs. Works very well. No need to wipe off the yogurt, just plunk it down on the grid all goopy and ugly. It'll cook off.

OnTheMini.jpg

Also helps to make up a salsa or relish to dish over the top.

PlatedFinal.jpg
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    i have had some sucess with boneless/skinless chicken breasts. i cook direct, raised grid, at 350-400.
    i put Mrs. dash, or Raging river on them, and I watch them carefully. No smoking wood, I just grill them till done.

my wife likes the chicken done to 170 internal. If the cuts are thick, i will cut them in half, to make them thinner, and they cook very fast.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Did some on the mini last night. Brined them first, but then grilled at 400 till 155 internal. carryover handled the rest. Came out wonderfully. Had to check them both cuz that chicken was asymmetrical! :laugh:
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    I think I recognize that little guy :whistle::)
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Brining definitely will help but make sure your breasts are dry before you put them on. A dry exterior will sear or brown better.

But after the first ten minutes of grilling, then I like to add some kind of oil based baste to keep the outside from getting overly tough. Something like a mix of melted butter, olive oil, garlic and herbs. Just be careful doing it over the coals, it will flare up.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • BB1857
    BB1857 Posts: 131
    Something that i have found with chicken breast that works great is to pound it out a bit. I know some people like the thicker cut but it can be very difficult to make nice and juicy. I pound mine down a bit to about 3/4 inch thick then marinate. Grill 400 direct for about 4 mins a side. They come out so tender that you can cut them with a fork.
  • Eublet
    Eublet Posts: 54
    As suggested, marinade them for at least a few hours or overnight in plain yogurt or kefir. Kefir is great because you can purchase it at a local healthstore, and it keeps for long periods of time in the fridge. Just poor a little into a ziplock back with your chicken breasts, and it'll make them nice and juicy. You can add seasoning into the marinade, or just dust them with your favorite spice just before throwing on the egg.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    NoleC5,

Yoghurt is good. Buttermilk is too.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NoleC5
    NoleC5 Posts: 176
    Sorry for the late response...wok has been crazy and a 10 month old sure is keeping us busy!!! Thanks so much for all the responses...have se new stuff to try for sure.

Is the consensus that my chicken was just dry...and not necessarily over cooked?

Also, when you guys brine stuff during the week...how do you do it? I'm usually pulling setting frozen out the night before to thaw before I get home from work the next night.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    You may want to try raised grid direct at 325* ish. Did a few on Monday for lunches at 250 after a rib cook. Put a few slices of bacon on them though :blush:

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• felix45acp
    felix45acp Posts: 9
    when it comes to chicken breasts, go get one of the instant read digital meat probe thermometers from wal mart, only $16.00, but well worth it, marinate in KC Masterpiece Honey Teriaki marinade 45-60 mins, get grill to 375-400.degrees indirect heat, put breasts on when temp is right, put probe in middle of thickest breast, turn on WIRELESS remote readout, set for well done, 175 deg, when temp reads 150, add two slices of pineapple to each breast, when remote beeps, 175, take off. Moist,tender,very good taste. Don't use pineapple in heavy syrup, use pure pineapple juice.