Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Where Did I Go Wrong ???

Grillin&ChillinGrillin&Chillin Posts: 31
edited 12:14AM in EggHead Forum
Last night I cooked some rib eyes that didn't turn out well. I know, how do you screw up steaks?
I started with a 550 degree dome. I put 6 boneless rib eyes on my large BGE. They nearly covered the cooking surface. Bottom vent was wide open and top vent nearly so. I cooked 4 minutes, opened and turned. Cooked another 3 minutes and removed. When the top was opened there was a lot of flames from fat burning off. Other than to flip and remove, I didn't open the top during the cook.
Now for the problem - all the steaks had that "flamed fat" taste to them. I'm not sure how else to describe it. I experienced it more when cooking fatty foods on my old gas grill. All the steaks looked fine - nice, even char on the outside and medium rare inside.

All comments/suggestions are welcome.
·

Comments

• thegrillsterthegrillster Posts: 348
    Was your smoke clear before putting on the steaks? How long did you let the fire burn before cooking?
    ·
  • SmokinbSmokinb Posts: 99
    You may want to try the reverse sear method, starting at lower temp, and finishing high.
    ·
  • SmokinbSmokinb Posts: 99
    You may want to try the reverse sear method, starting at lower temp, and finishing high.
    ·
  • MaineggMainegg Posts: 7,787
    it might have just been to much fat with that many steaks... i have done that with chix thighs direct and had that same taste. maybe two batches are in order with that many...
    ·
  • EggNorthEggNorth Posts: 526
    Flame is the enemy, heat is good!

I sear on both sides, as you did. remove, add Plate Setter + drip pan with water. Wait for 350/400 and add steak to finish.
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    LBGE (2010)
    ·
  • tjvtjv Posts: 3,338
    you'll need to trim most of the fat if doing that many ribeyes, including that fat socket. Or cook them at lower temps. I learned trimming the fat after one of my first blackening cook, see pic below. thought for sure one of the neighbors was going to call the fire departement.

121_2119.jpg
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
    ·
  • I use this method, hot as you can get 600-700 sear 2 min, flip 2 more min, close all vents flip and roast for 2-3 min. depending on thickness.I let them get to 130 inside and serve. I like mine med. rare. Works every time. I think you got a lot of flame due to the vents bieng open.
    ·
  • BeliBeli Posts: 10,751
    I always sear mine at 500+ with the lid OPEN you need all the oxigen to have a proper combustion & sear. You will see lots of flames dont't worry they won't burn leave them for 90 to 120 seconds/side pull and close lid & vents completely. Wait for the dome temp to come down to 380 or so & stabilize. Put ribeyes back close lid & pull at desired internal temp I like mine at 135.
    ·
  • NC-CDNNC-CDN Posts: 703
    winemaker ron wrote:
    I use this method, hot as you can get 600-700 sear 2 min, flip 2 more min, close all vents flip and roast for 2-3 min. depending on thickness.I let them get to 130 inside and serve. I like mine med. rare. Works every time. I think you got a lot of flame due to the vents bieng open.

I do it basically like this as well and get great results every time. Perhaps that 4 minutes on one side was a bit long.

I've cooked many steaks with flames up and tickling my meat and still get great results. I don't mind a bit of flame personally, but wouldn't want that for 4 minutes straight. Sometimes I'll close the top vent a bit to kill off flames that are too much if I have alot of fat dripping. Could be from adding some bacon to the grill with the steaks. Mmm bacon.
    ·
  • RascalRascal Posts: 3,358
    How about those who 'T-Rex' their steaks diretly on the lump? Doesn't this create an infernal, fat-burning scenario or does it just get vulcanized?? Can anyone 'splain this? Thanks~~!
    ·