Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

just order a large BGE, what do you suggest I cook first?

Options
Indiana Skeeter
Indiana Skeeter Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hopefully I will get my bge before the weekend. Any advice on something foolproof to try for the first time user. I am having six people over.

Comments

• jake42
    jake42 Posts: 932
    Options
    Indiana Skeeter,
    Might I suggest chicken thighs? You will be amazed at how much better they come out on the egg.

• Fisheyes
    Fisheyes Posts: 40
    Options
    Indiana Skeeter,
    Beer Butt Chicken. They are easy and taste great. I use a different Dizzy Pig rub on each chicken to get a few different flavors.[p]As an appetizer, go get some mild italian suasages from a good store like the Fresh Market (the pre-packaged ones are no good.) Then just cook them straight up on the egg at about 250 for an hour or until they are done (make sure to turn them.) If you have time, smoke them on indirect heat at 250 for about 2 hours instead. When finished, slice them on a plate. Now slice up a few lemons and cover the sausage slices with the juice. Your guests will be amazed at how good they taste. It doesn't get much easier than that.[p]Enjoy,
    Brad

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Indiana Skeeter,
    well...
    there was probably SOMETHING that tipped the scales for you and induced you to buy an Egg.[p]if it was barbecue, well, maybe you might want to practice a bit before doing an all-nighter.[p]but i might suggest steaks. ANY steak will do.[p]it's a pretty forgiving cook. you might want to get complicated and got T-rex style, but i think you ought to do just what you'd do if you bought a high performance car.[p]take her out and go as fast as you can.[p]get the egg to around 800 degrees, and toss the things on for a few minutes (like, maybe 3, literally) per side.[p]practice also putting them on, shutting the lid, and going INSIDE acting nonchalant.[p]you won't have any flare-ups oranything, so just act calm and collected while your steaks are at sub-solar temps as you pour another beverage.[p]flip, let ethem go another 3 minutes, and yank them.[p]it's pretty simple.[p]just don't do half-inch or even 1 inch steaks. inach-and-a-half, couplathree minutes a side, and you'll look like a hero, and feel like a caveman.[p]you will begin storing your tongs and spatula in the gas grill...

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Options
    Hi Indiana Skeeter,
    Congrats & welcome. Since their is somewhat of a learning curve with the Egg might I suggest something simple. Steaks as stike suggested or beer butt chicken as Brad suggested, or smashed chicken rollups or chicken thighs ala jake42.
    Most of all have fun.
    bruce

[ul][li]http://biggreenegg.com/recipes/newRecipes/poultry0372.htm[/ul]
  • Indiana Skeeter
    Options
    stike, The steaks sound great, at 3 minutes a side would you say that they will be rare, meduim, or well?

• Indiana Skeeter
    Options
    Fisheyes, I will try the sausage as well

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Indiana Skeeter,
    a well done steak is a poorly done steak![p]the "three minutes" thing is a big variable...[p]if you've cooked enough, maybe you can go by touch to tell when they are medium.[p]when i first got the egg, i wrote alot of stuff down, but mostly go by guesswork on hightemp cooks.[p]i think the most forgiving cut for a steak is a superthick tenderloin. like an inch-and-3/4[p]did a pair of poerthouse steaks the other night which were cave-man thick. an inch-and-3/4. my wife's went on for 4 minutes a side, mine for about 3. hers was medium, mine medium rare.[p]but you gotta watch them. they are like women,.... each is different.[p]

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Adrian B.
    Adrian B. Posts: 124
    Options
    Indiana Skeeter, Here is my two cents. [p]An easy way to break the egg in and feed 6-8 people is to cook 2 or 3 whole chickens. The easiest way to cook them up for that amount of people is to either spatchcok them (butterfly) or half-**** them (butterfly then half). Use a simple homemade rub or your favorite store bought rub. Throw the chickens on a raised grid at 350* for an hour, bone side down, and don't turn them over. Make a simple finishing sauce to serve on the side, and you're good to go. :~)[p]Simple & tasty sauce:
    3/4 Cup flat Coke or Dr. Pepper or your favorite cola (no diet drinks)
    3/4 Cup ketchup (hot ketchup if you want some kick)
    2 Tablespoons steak sauce
    2 Tablespoons white vinegar
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    Whisk or mix all the ingredients in a small saucepan, bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Serve it warm.

[ul][li]Easy spatchcock method[/ul]