Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shoulder doner earlier than expected - How long can I keep it?

Options
Memphis
Memphis Posts: 144
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put a sholder on last night and it will reach 200 deg around 10:00am
If I wrap it in foil and put it in the Igloo - how long can I hold it ???? I would like to serve it for dinner tonight - around 6:00pm.
What is the longest anyone has SAFELY help pork in this manner ?????

Comments

• locolongball
    Options
    Memphis,[p]I'd leave it in the iglo, it will be fine. However, I'm not sure how easy the meat will pull after it cools down. One of the egg master will have to anwswer that. But, I do know that it will be "safe" in the iglo until time to eat.
  • Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Options
    Memphis,[p]I have kept them well above the danger temp for 6 hours before. I use a styrofoam cooler and wrap the meat in towels as well. The styrofaom cooler seems to hold the temperature much better than a "regular" cooler, at least from my experience. If you have doubts refrigerate it a reheat in the microwave at dinner time. Just keep it in a sealed container so it doesn't dry out.[p]I just coolered a brisket and have two butts coming off in a few hours all to eat later this afternoon.[p]Good luck and have a great day.[p]Chuck

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    Memphis,
    If you're talkin about a roll top Igloo with the handle in the lid, you might wanna try for a more heavy duty ice box than that. One that the lid presses down tightly and wouldn't leak water when tipped on it's side, such as a Coleman if you got it. 2 hours is the longest I've ever gone in the cooler (after pulling) and the meat still had wisps of stream off the top when I opened it up. Heat that cooler up good with hot, hot tap water, drain and dry well before placing the meat. If you wanna go 8 hours, you are definitely gonna need a little extra help. Try this link.[p]Cheers,
    C~Q

• AZ Geoff
    AZ Geoff Posts: 66
    Options
    Memphis,
    Crumple up some newspaper amd use it to fill up the space in the cooler. It helps keep it hot.[p]AG

• Memphis
    Memphis Posts: 144
    Options
    Citizen Q, Thanks - Good link. I pretty much followed all these steps. Will keep an eye on the temp. If it gets too close I will pull it and refridge.[p]Thanks again -[p]