Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fa-Jeeta help needed

Options
StumpBaby
StumpBaby Posts: 320
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK. very rarely do I post askin for help..but this time I bought a hunk-o meat purely based on what it resembled..not what I could do with it..well.let me rephrase that..well..never mind..anyway..I was thinkin maybe I can use it to make fa-jeetas..so tonight I got some limes and some fresh garlic..I got some extra virgin olive oil too...though truth be tol there's just no tellin what it'll be in the mornin...oooh..there I go agin..[p]anyway...my question is this..what's a good marinade that I can use for fa-jeetas..and more importantly since I can prolly put somethin decent together flavawise..an I plan on doin a hot short fast sear since the thing is really thin..so ne help needed temp an how long wise..but how long does that puppy have to marinate for ..specially considerin I wanna use some fresh lime juice..which I know can't be left too long on the meat.[p]Al recipes..an marinatin an cookin techniques is always welcome of course.[p]Thanks for the help in advance..oh..yeah..an for puttin up with me in general.[p]StumpBaby

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    StumpBaby,[p]Ok...[p]thoes limes are a good start! I usually use lots of garlic, salt, pepper,cumin,chili powder (maybe a little liquid smoke) and a beer.[p]I marinade for 4-6 hours...any more and thoes limes will start the cooking before you do. [p]Some do...but I don't like the "mushy" texture from too long in the marinade!![p]You sound like you've got the right idea on cooking...hot and fast![p]make sure you slice across the grain!!
    '
    Enjoy!

I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Cagmag
    Cagmag Posts: 15
    Options
    StumpBaby,[p]One of our favorite fajita marinades is:
    1/3 Fresh Lime Juice
    1/3 Soy Sauce
    1/3 Pineapple Juice[p]Simplicity at it's best.[p]We marinate overnight.[p]Good luck.

• StumpBaby,[p]You've already done what you've done, but here's a recipe for the future. For fajitas, here's a rub I use. The lime juice goes on at the end of the sear. Hope yours turned out well.[p]3-4 Dried New Mexico Chiles, seeded and ground.
    2 dried chipotle, seeded and ground
    2 tsp cumin, ground
    2 tsp salt
    2 tsp oregano[p][p]

• Greendriver
    Greendriver Posts: 128
    Options
    StumpBaby,
    While it may not be a common believe, I agree w/Cagmag in that "it's O.K. to marinate for extended periods on this dish". My opinion comes from my own independent poll of the Mexicans in the area that know how to cook this stuff. But also my experience of eating some of the finest Mexican food ever at some of these peoples restaurants. Fajitas don't get any better and the meat is 1) always very thin and cut up before serving 2) it is always very well done, but still tender. So, my poll shows marinate a long time with a lot of the spices and the LIME that have been mentioned and you might want to add a tad of tequila.[p]Chet

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    StumpBaby,[p]Here is a post I made about fajita's that came out great!
    [ul][li]Fajita's Dinner[/ul]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]