Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boo Hoo

Options

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Well dang...

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    That's sad. Really liked his show a bunch. Simple logic to "why" and how to cook.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Kentucky Wildcat Fan
    Options
    That's too bad. It was sometimes goofy but I always watched it as I learned a lot about cooking.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Good riddance, couldn’t watch that nonsense anymore than cake boss or any of the 100 competition type shows that network pimps; food tv jumped the shark when Emeril woke up thinking he was Johnny Carson
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Say what you want but I learned a hell of a lot from watching Alton's shows. -RP
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I bet Zippy is a closet Neeley's and Paula Dean fan....hey y'all... :P B):) :cheer:
  • Zippylip
    Options
    RP, not saying the show had no value or that it wasn't chock full of information, in fact its extreme content of information was what turned me off - there's thinking about what you're doing & then there's uber-over thinking about what you're doing to the point of stripping it of spontaneity & fun - different strokes is all
    happy in the hut
  • Zippylip
    Options
    I used to really like David Rosengarten's show - he was sort of similar to Alton Brown but a lot less technical; Jack McDavid just kicked ass but they ran him out of town on a stick in favor of the other guy
    happy in the hut
  • vidalia1
    Options
    BTW...looking at old post the other day I saw your Reese's peanut butter pie you made for someone's bday????...I made it last weekend...deeelicious...will do again but I will add cooked maple bacon to the top chocolate layer...mmmmm :)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i think AB got a little over the top as things went on. I think the first coupla few seasons were most solid. ;ate;y, the little play-acting has taken on much more than i think it needs. last show, the asian noodle one, had about five minutes of a comedic 'climbing up and down the ladder to china' play act that was a little trying.

let's face it, the guy has run out of stuff to cook. time for a rest.

but of the earlier shows, i think the technical info was solid, concise, and not too drawn out.

i enjoyed the fact that he addressed those folks who actually want to know WHY to do something. so many folks these days just want to be told what to do, rather than understand. understanding why means you can adapt, change things up, etc.

but i think he reached his practical limit.

he started with steak. ended on cauliflower. dude gave it his all.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • EmandM'sDad
    EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
    Options
    I agree Randy. I learned alot (Engineers love the science), and so did the kids.
  • EmandM'sDad
    Options
    And where is this peanut butter pie post of which you spoke....errr typed?
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    That's really too bad. I enjoyed his shows, learned a lot, but he had a good long run and its probably time to end it.

I can say I cooked his chili once....once, and never will again.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Cooked many a butt (and chicken and ribs) on one of AB's Good Eats gadgets. Sucks at searing though. :)

Not mine, but similar...

3939356186_9efaa5e65d.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• vidalia1
    Options
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1038814&catid=1

I followed Zippy's detailed instructions (last post I believe in that thread) then I melted the peanut butter in the microwave for 1 minute at 40% power. I did this twice. I also added 1 tsp vanilla extract and 1/2 cup heavy cream...this peanut butter cup was deeelicious.
  • jaymag_87
    jaymag_87 Posts: 111
    Options
    :angry::angry: NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry::angry:
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Maybe he is going over to Oprah's new OWN network and call his show, "Better Eats."

I learned a bunch from him though.

Spring "Food Technology Trainee" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    I hate that. It was one of my favorite shows on food network. If I only had cable... :S
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
  • EmandM'sDad
    Options
  • Ohio48
    Ohio48 Posts: 20
    Options
    Carolina Q wrote:
    Cooked many a butt (and chicken and ribs) on one of AB's Good Eats gadgets. Sucks at searing though. :)

Not mine, but similar...

3939356186_9efaa5e65d.jpg

I used one of those for my first pork but. It worked like a champ. But now it's a flower pot!!! :laugh:
  • I Like To Cook
    Options
    I've met the guy a few times. He's exactly the same in person as he is on TV. Food Network is fast becoming the MTV of cooking channels. All reality show crap. I agree with Zippylip about David Rosengarten & Jack McDavid. I miss Sarah Moulton too.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Randy,
    You need to get out more!
    If you start now, you could drop by on your way to ATHENS :whistle:
    Bring the dogs and have an adventure :woohoo:
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Sad news indeed. One of the few actually informative food programs around. :(
  • Lester7009
    Lester7009 Posts: 20
    Options
    Just paint it green !!!!!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,500
    Options
    First I'd heard of this. I learned a lot from AB too (although his pizza episode crippled me for years... :angry: )

"The reason I go out with young men is because men my age or older — well, now they’re all dead."   

-Cher