Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finding time to do maintenance on BGE

Options
Brew'nQue
Brew'nQue Posts: 44
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I ordered a nomex gasket for my LBGE last week. I need to strip what's left of my factory gasket off of my egg and put this new one on. I also need to replace one of the bolts on the lower band that broke when putting it on.

The problem is that I'm having a hard time finding the time to do it! Not that I'm working all the time or anything like that, but I won't be able to cook on the egg for a whole day after doing this maintenance! :P

Any tips for putting the nomex on? I've watched the video by fred and plan on copying his process.

As for finding the time, I guess this means that I need a second egg, right??! :evil:

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    2nd & 3rd BGE's are very helpful... B)
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    Options
    If you still have it, roll out the old gasser the egg replaced. It'll be a come down, but you'll have some bbq and you'll really appreciate the egg after it's back on line.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I have found using 91° alcohol will remove the old gasket easily. The removal work is pretty easy and should not take much more than 20 to 30 minutes.

You will find it easier to remove the dome to remove and replace the gaskets. I use some old towels over the base and invert the dome and place it in the base. Take care when removing the bands so you don't twist the bands when removing and replacing.

When you have the surface clean put on the new gasket, remove the dome and then work on the base.

Folks advice to preshrink the nomex by putting the cloths dryer for 15 to 30 minutes.

When putting the bans back on check for a good fit between the base and dome.

GG
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    DEFIANTLY TIME FOR EGG NUMBER 2 :)
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Actually the second egg won't help you. I bought our second Egg last September and picked up a gasket at Eggtoberfest so I've had 7 months to get to it...

maybe I'm just lazy :P
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This