Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OK, I have to say it

Options
Crimsongator
Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This is an open memo to all the newbies and some old farts. Cooking is an art, especially BBQ. You can't do 225 for 14 hrs with this butt just because you did it with the last one. It is done when it is done and each cut of meat is different and each cook on the egg seems to settle at a slightly different temp. If your egg pops 10-20* higher this time, roll with it and adjust your times slightly. It is all about the feel of the finished prduct and not even a cetain temp. What is 195* on this brsket needs to be 200* or 205* on the next one to get the correct finish.

If you expect to go exactly 240* in varying weather conditions with different kinds of lump you are going to drive yourself crazy. And this talk about not wanting to go as high as 300* or even 350* to cook a butt or ribs, try it. Some of the best teams in the country are doing it with great success and I would bet you $100 you couldn't tell the difference, even if I told you which was which.

Relax and enjoy the egg. You are driving your family crazy! Btw, that advice was free and would cost you over $100 to get at a bbq cooking class..... you're welcome :kiss:

Comments

• Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Rebate, please!
    :woohoo:

Btw, u r right!
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    Well said!

The purpose of BBQ, grilling, etc is to relax, once I learned that I love cooking on my EGG! I don't chase temps, I settle down read a book and relax. Some great cooks have come from technically questionable processes, but they were still great.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Conceal carry
    Options
    Thanks for the advice
  • elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Well said. Personally, I don't get caught up in all the hoo-ha over times, etc. When it's ready, we eat. :laugh: I've got enough sense to know that I can't throw the turkey on and plan to eat in an hour - I do the best I can and try to time the cook accordingly - but hey - sometimes I get it wrong. As long as I don't burn it up, it's all good. :silly:
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    Well said......
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder, this is supposed to be FUN!!!
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Great post! I always have some little thing, like stuffed mushrooms or dates or wings, to throw on if a cook goes longer than intended.
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Good advice. Personally my ribs and roasts and butts all get done in the crock pot. Occasionally, and ONLY occasionally I'll do some 3-1-1 ribs.

I'm to ADD to do low and slow in my Egg even after all these years. Someday maybe...I know I'm missing out but I'm still eating well. I prefer to fire it up, cook, eat, clean up and move on...I wasn't a smoker before I had the egg so I never converted.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Well said Gene and I agree completely. if you put a cake in your oven in the house is it always done that same time and always the same? no! doing the demo yesterday and people asking about times and stuff I showed them our thermopen and said learn to cook to temp. about 95% of your cooks will be over the top great when you do. there are a few things that will affect it and you can ball park the time but do not plan on putting it on at 4 and taking it off at 7 it might be 6:30 or 15 after 7. and that is not the egg it is just life. every piece of meat is diff so will act diff. relax and enjoy life and the wonderful meal that will follow.
    just about everything I cook on the egg is around 375 to 400, i do not fuss with it if a little either way. only time i do any diff is pizza or low and slow. the egg is very forgiving :) to bad we all were not LOL
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    hey!!! i have never bee accused of overthinking.. glad you are helping to bring people down to my level ;)

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• fdxegger
    fdxegger Posts: 69
    Options
    One of my favorite cook books circa 1905 refers to a Hot, Medium or Slow oven. I think that's one reason I like baking on BGE. Marvelous results with a bit of SWAG (Sophisticated Wild Ass Guess) each time.
  • TheEgg&I
    TheEgg&I Posts: 16
    Options
    A newbie here. I too agree. Trials along the learning curve. Fun, is what I want. Fun is what I will have because, AlfredENewman-Large.jpg What? Me worry?
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    NOW you tell me... LOL

Spring "Learned Everything The Easy Way" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I just ordered a new dome therm with 3 settings hot, hotter and hottest I could have gotten the 4'th Fishlessman option but declined
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    you can always shorten time by foiling late in the cook. bbq for me has become a multi-task event, doing other things during the long cooks. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    thebtls wrote:
    Personally my ribs and roasts and butts all get done in the crock pot.... but I'm still eating well.

OK, I have to say it. I've seen a lot of contradictory statements in my day, but that has to top 'em all. The day I cook a butt in a crock pot is the day I just start eating nuked TV dinners. :sick:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• transversal
    transversal Posts: 719
    Options
    Early on, Fishless shared that knowledge with me and I have enjoyed the egg a bunch more since he did. So, I agree with you......and most of the vets on here who do not drive themselves into the nuthouse when they find that their dome temp exceeded the target by 25-45* for some portion of the cook. I love my Egg, but I'm not convinced that it resides at the same level of consciousness that most of us do. And that is precisely why the man upstairs gave us BEER!!
  • thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    Still eating some microwave food too...when you are on call 24/7 you have to keep all optins open.
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • eggtopia
    eggtopia Posts: 91
    Options
    I know I'm new around here, but I'll give a suggestion anyway.

There should be a "sticky" or "fixed" thread or on top of this forum with all the FAQ's so us newbies can gather some info without asking repeated questions. A search is good, but sometimes we don't know what we don't know so we don't know what to search for.
    Just a suggestion.
  • Frank from Houma
    Frank from Houma Posts: 5,755
    Options
    Eggcelent suggestion - made it a couple years ago :huh:
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    Wish you would have told me this a few years back B)

I like the warm, hot, real hot oven stuff - sounds like an AGA.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Yeah, me either :P
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Hey, it just came to me :whistle:
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Options
    Most all things worth doing in life have nuances that are necessary to adjust to. The good news is that if you continue to try the adjustments they turn into experinces and sometimes a darn good story. Thanks for the post. Randy
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    This is a great post. If you could just remind me again where I send the hundred bucks.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    eggactly!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Brokersmoker
    Brokersmoker Posts: 646
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder. Some of us need a swift kick as a reminder from time to time.
  • smoky b
    smoky b Posts: 648
    Options
    Couldn't disagree more. BBQ is science and science is predicated on replication. I do my pork butts at 195* for 20 hrs every time!
    ;)