Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bean recipe for meaty hambone?

Bash
Bash Posts: 1,011
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got a nice meaty hambone in the freezer that I would like to cook in some beans.

Does anyone have a favorite recipe you can share?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Here you go - this is DELICIOUS! I just made a pot yesterday in fact!

RRP’s Ham & Bean Soup

1# navy beans prepared as described below
    9 pints of water will be needed in total
    3 cups of diced ham
    1 left over ham bone
    ¼ pound butter
    1 cup grated carrots (1 large one)
    1 cup diced onion (1 medium onion)
    1 cup thinly diced celery (about 2 large stalks)
    2 tsp freshly ground pepper (90 grinds)
    4 tsp salt
    1 tsp cumin powder
    1 tsp chili powder
    2 T sifted flour
    ½ t Wright’s concentrated hickory liquid smoke
    ½ t Kitchen Bouquet

Method A. Sort through beans for any bad ones, rinse and place in large pot with 4 pints of cold water. Bring to a boil for three minutes, turn off heat, but leave on the burner and keep covered for one hour and 15 minutes.

Or Method B which I refer prefer! This is a recap from Cook’s Illustrated in Nov ’10 issue: For 1 pound of dried Navy beans dissolve 3 tablespoons of table salt in 4 quarts of cold water. Let soak for 8 to 24 hours at room temperature. Drain and rinse well before proceeding

Drain beans and rinse again. Add 4 pints of cold water, plus the ham bone. Simmer for 3 hours. First hour uncovered and next 2 hours with cover slightly ajar.

Sauté the carrots, celery and onions in ¼ lb of butter. Season with salt, pepper, comino powder and chili powder. In a separate bowl place 2 T of sifted flour and THEN add 1 pint of tap hot water and mix thoroughly to make a slurry and set aside.

Remove ham bone and add leftover diced ham, sautéed vegetables and flour slurry to the pot of beans. Add the Wright’s smoke and Kitchen Bouquet and stir well. Heat thoroughly on simmer uncovered for 30 minutes. Skim off any large poolings of fat if you want which will might rise during this final stage…but that is where the taste comes from – let alone that ¼ pound of butter!

Lastly, 1 pint of this well mixed hearty soup is a nice size serving. Normally this recipe yields 7+ pints of bodacious ham and bean soup!

Enjoy!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bash
    Thanks for that - looks good.

Did you do on the egg or stovetop? If on the egg, do you still add the ½ t Wright’s concentrated hickory liquid smoke?

Also, what is this Kitchen Bouquet?

Thanks,
    Richard
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Are you familiar with Hursts/Hambeans products? I generally do the "15 bean" with my leftover ham bones. I just add a can of Rotel along with the spice pack included with the beans. Nuthin Fancy but always good. The website shows some russipe's, including the basic ham/bean soup.....they suggest adding garlic & onion also.

I have done them in a D.O. on the Egg, D.O. indoors, and even crockpot.

http://www.hurstbeans.com/products
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Those egg'd meaty ham bones are like gold... there are a lot of soups you can make and doing it on the egg or even in a crock pot is great.

I have done RRP's soup and it turns out really good.

Making some simple split pea soup is great, I just add a few diced carrots and once in a while some onion. Salt and Pepper to taste.

I really love this recipe and make it all the time. It works well with a meaty ham bone or ham shanks.

Grandpa's Bean Soup.

1 lb Baby Lima Beans (2 cups)
    2 ½ qt water
    ¾ cup diced carrots
    ¾ cup chopped onions
    ¾ cup chopped celery
    ¾ cup diced potatoes
    ¼ clove finely chopped garlic (garlic powder)
    3 bay leaves
    3 pepper corns
    1 or 2 ham shank (9-12 inches)
    or a ham bone plus some diced ham if you have it.

I like a lot of ham so I usually add more than above.

Soak beans overnight (drain beans)
    add all ingredients slow simmer 2 hrs minimum
    remove meat from bone, chop and return to pot

The water will be clear when you begin the cook. I let the soup simmer until the clear water turns a brown color, that's when the real flavor develops.

Simmering on the egg for me is about 325° dome. I use the Spider inverted and a Dutch Oven or I will cook in a crock pot. The crock pot usually takes most of the day to get it to the desired 'look' & taste.

You can't beat doing these in the egg over lump.

Here is a picture of my soup setup.

This here is the beginnings of a chili cook.
    chili1.jpg

The heavy duty pizza pan under the DO is there because that DO's base has too small a diameter which falls through the spider.

Here is the beginnings of a post roast and veggie cook. Same set up.
    droast2.jpg

If you don't have a spider you can accomplish the same setup by removing the fire ring and putting the grid on the top of the fire ring. If using a DO there is no need for indirect setup.

The DO and the egg are a perfect match and the cooks are wonderful.

Enjoy.

GG
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    If you have never done French-Canadian pea soup it is well worth it.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grandpas Grub

Love to see the recipe if you have one...

Kent
  • Little Steven
    Kent,

It's pretty simple. I use carrots and celery and parsley but it is very basic.

http://www.thearmchairgenealogist.com/2011/01/family-recipe-friday-french-canadian.html

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    The ham was a tasty one made on the egg following the Egret's recipe method, but the soup was simmered on the stove inside. Kitchen Bouquet is a browning & seasoning sauce. If you can't find don't worry about it.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    my dad always takes home the ham bone after easter. makes a great pea soup
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Can you save the prosciutto one for me? :kiss:

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grandpas Grub

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Hope all is well with the kid(s).

Kent
  • Bash
    I did find it. The ham has been simmering for an hour and all the veggies are cut up.

Looking forward to dinner tonight!

Thanks again :)
  • Bash
    Thank you - bookmarked for the next ham bone.