Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT Question

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Can anyone give me the basic run-down on how to prepare ABT's, I keep seeing pictures of them yet have never attempted to make them. Thank you in advance

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Zippy,
    Here's what I did the first time I made ABT's. First, invest in a box of rubber/latex gloves. While you are handling the peppers, don't touch your lips or eyes. [p]I cut off the stem end and use a paring knife to scrape out all the seeds and membrane. This is best done under running water. This varies from person to person, but the fumes make me cough. [p]Once all the peppers were hollowed-out, I insert a strip of andouille sausage into the pepper and then cram creme cheese down in the pepper around the sausage.[p]I then wrap a thin strip of bacon around the pepper and secure with a toothpick.[p]Some folks cut the peppers in half and then either wrap the halves, or reassemble the halves once stuffed, and then wrap them. Your choice.[p]I've seen ads for something called a Chile Twister for hollowing out the peppers. (Search google and you'll get some obvious hits.) I've not used one, but maybe someone else can comment.[p]Good Luck!
    TNW[p]

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,
    The Jalapeno Cafe website has several recipes that look great, plus a tool for removing the seeds and seems[p]

[ul][li]http://www.jalapenocafe.com/twister.html[/ul]
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Zippy,
    You can see the step by step process of how I do them on my website, in the "cooks" section...HTH[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • Zippy,
    yes definatly use gloves, the first time i did em i was like gloves? i dont need no stinkin gloves mang..[p]then later after i had them all together i had to take a wiz, needless to say i use gloves from now on[p]Mark

• Eric
    Eric Posts: 83
    Options
    Zippy,[p]Here is an easy way to fill the AbT's.[p]I take make my filling, (softened cream cheese and shredded (or chopped) smoked pork and spice of choice) in a zip lock bag and mix it up real good- just seal the bag and squish it around till it is an even mix. Next, squish all of the mix to a corner of the bag, snip the corner off of the bag and then pipe the mix into the ABT.[p]Fast, easy and no mess.

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    Options
    Zippy,[p]Here's a link to a time-lapse movie I made showing the process of making ABT's from beginning to end. It's a couple of Megs so beware if you're on a slow connection.[p]Chuck
    [ul][li]Makin' ABTs - the movie[/ul]