Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

11lb Butt

Options
EGGARY
EGGARY Posts: 1,222
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
At Smart and Final, they had 11lb pork butts/shoulder with bone. I know one day I will cook one. I know all about cooking by temperature and not by time but at 11 pounds, isn't that a rather long cook ? Like 22 hours give or take ?

What is the biggest you have done and how long ?

Thanks.

Gary

Comments

• atlpats
    atlpats Posts: 102
    Options
    My largest was just under 10lbs, of course I've only done 2 butts so far. But I was just under 19 hours on my low and slow.
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    What time did you put the Butt on the EGG ?
  • atlpats
    atlpats Posts: 102
    Options
    Me? lol, I put mine on around 9:45pm.
  • Jfroe
    Jfroe Posts: 4
    Options
    It took 18 hours for two butts. Total 15 lbs. meat temp 195 grill temp 225.

I hope this helps.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The rule of thumb is 1.5 - 2 hours/pound, so, yes, 22 hours might be the time it takes to finish the butt. Its long only if you haven't done something like that. Without an Egg, which should be able to go that long without refueling, its not that hard.

My longest cook was a brisket, which took 19 hrs, and probably could have gone another.

I've had several "turbo butts," where they took less than 1.5 hrs, although several of those were actually the picnic portion of the shoulder. The fastest was a 9 lb picnic that finished in 7 hours. On the other hand, I had one 7 pound but take close to 16 hrs.

It seems to me that if the butt sits at room temperature for a couple of hours, it takes a lot of time off the cook.

Also, sometimes the packages at market are not 1 piece, but two. I mention this because 11 lbs is a little heavy for a standard factory raised hog. Packages around 18 lbs are often 2 butts, or even the butt and picnic.