Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcocked Chicken

Options
egret
egret Posts: 4,170
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My question is the height of the grill during cooking of NW's spatchcocked chicken; raised or standard level? I didn't see this addressed in the recipe, so I'm assuming at the lowered (standard) level since the cooking time is so short.....

Comments

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    egret, I don't really know about the others but I do mine raised, direct.

• egret,[p]I do mine standard (I don't have a raised grid)
  • Central Pork
    Options
    egret,
    Raised Direct for me also.
    CP

• egret
    Options
    Central Pork, Tony, and sigmore,
    Thank you for your quick responses. If you do the raised grid does it take you longer than the 45 minutes NW calls for in his recipe?

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    egret,
    That depends on a lot of things, weight, temp of chikkie, temp of egg, injected. I would let the temp rather than time be my guide.

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    egret,
    Taken right from the NW website.[p]Cooking Directions: [p]
    Stabilize your egg at 350 degrees. Place two packets of BBQr's Delight Orange Wood Pellets (follow their directions on the package to prepare the little foil packets) on the fire. You should be able to find these at Ace Hardware and Wal*Mart. After they start smoking, place the chicken on the grid, skin side up. As you can see in the photo, I use a raised grid. I did this to make access to the chicken easier, but I've heard reports that this helps with grease flameups, etc. Cook 1 hour. You are then done. There is no need to turn the chicken over.

[ul][li]The Naked Whiz/Spatchcocked Chicken[/ul]
  • egret
    Options
    New Bob,
    Gracious thanks for your most helpful post. We just finished one of the finest chicken dinners we've ever had following the hints of all of you. I used your method regarding raised grid and didn't turn the chicken during the cooking cycle and it turned out perfectly. Thank you......

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    egret,
    Hi,
    Just to keep thing straight, that was not my method posted I was just trying to pass on the information from our good egger friend "The Naked Whiz" thanks for the nice words anyhow. I'm glad to hear your meal turned out so well.
    We all try to help one another here.
    May you have many more great cooks,
    New Bob