Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Super Kicked Up Grilled Cheese Sammie

Options
Florida Grillin Girl
Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,972
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I love grilled cheese sandwiches, just so ya know.

I got this idea from Food Network Magazine. It calls for pulled pork, but I used leftover rib meat, instead. YES, on a grilled cheese sandwich!

I egged ribs, some of you know I am not a rib fan, but I made them for some neighbors, and kept a few for the disinterested teenager, just in case...

St. Louis ribs on the large, this was while watching that nice wedding on Friday~

P4293996.jpg

The bend test~

P4293997.jpg

Finishing with the sauce, Daisy pig was checking it out~

P4293998.jpg

So, today, for the sammies, I carmelized some sweet onions in some butter;

P5014004.jpg

And started to build the sandwich in the cast iron pan.

First the bread, outside spread with mayo, then the sliced cheddar cheese, the rib meat along with some sauce (Sweet Baby Rays), then the onions, messy looking pic:

P5014006.jpg

Add some leftover Mac and cheese on top:

P5014007.jpg

Some more sliced cheddar, then another piece of bread, spread with mayo on the outside.

After the flip:

P5014008-1.jpg

Sunset happened, those are oyster beds where the trees are sticking out of the water:

P4283995.jpg

Served it with a Margarita (1800 tequila), shaken and poured straight up with salt, hmmm that tastes good!

P5014011.jpg

Closeup:

P5014012.jpg

I am liking leftover ribs!
Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini

Comments

• EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    Looks like you had a good time EGGing. I too did Ribs. How long did it take for your Ribs ? I did mine for almost 5 hours and they looked like your. I would prefer a more chewy rib, not as cooked. Any suggestions ?

Thank you.

Looks like you had very nice weather. We too had very nice weather.

Gary
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Ahhhhhh, I swear, those pics are of comfort!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Wowwww wowwww wowwwww Faith you are one lucky human being :laugh: the ribs are delicious but that sunset is FANTASTIC. Felicidades!!!!!!!!!
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Gary, 5 1/2 hours before the sauce. I did a homemade bourbon based sauce, that pic is just after I brushed the sauce on. I like them tender so I don't know what to tell you about a chewy rib.

It was a nice, but hot, day for egging. You can see from the rib pics, it was really bright out there, the camera didn't know what to do with all that bright light (neither did the camera operator!).
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    One of these days I'm gonna pull the bones and make myself a real Eggrib sandwich instead of the ground pork version I do now.

Looks like a wonderful meal.....and those west Florida sunsets are awesome.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Molly, comfort food mac and cheese, but with bread and rib meat!

• elzbth
    elzbth Posts: 2,075
    Options
    Fabulous sunset! Ok, I admit it - I can eat mac-n-cheese with anything. I wouldn't have put this together, but darn if it does not rock! ;)
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Djuffjr, rib meat sammiches are just as good as pulled pork, in my opinion. Just wait til July-August for some spectacular sensets around here!

• thebtls
    thebtls Posts: 2,300
    Options
    WOW
    Visit my blog, dedicated to my Big Green Egg Recipies at http://www.bigtsbge.blogspot.com You can also follow my posts on FaceBook under the name Keep On Eggin' or the link http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Keep-On-Eggin/198049930216241
  • dhuffjr
    Options
    I'm supposed to be down again in August. Maybe they'll keep delaying this shuttle and I can see it too :woohoo:
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    dhuffjr, shuttle is the wrong coast for the sunset, but my side is only 2 1/2 hours away!
    It's doable!

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Love your post Faith. I see you got some nice spares cooked up. Love your sammie. How did the disinterested teenager like the ribs?
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Tim, thanks!

The disinterested teenager wasn't hungry for ribs when he got home. He thought the sammie tonight was "weird". I do not think I have a foodie on my hands here.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Faith, you do nice work. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Well maybe he is not eating you out of house and home. I was very skinny as a teenager up to my 40's. :)
  • dhuffjr
    Options
    I know. We're hoping to hit the cape when we are down.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Thank you, Q, for the compliment.

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Tim, the teenager eats, but he is still picky. I notice his tastebuds are coming around, but it is taking forever! And, he is not impressed by anything cooked on the egg even though I told him he could have the mini to take to college. What is wrong with that kid?????

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    OH MY GOODNNESS!!!,as Shirley Temple would say!!! ;) "OFF THE HOOK" Miss Faith! :)
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Hoss, Shirley Temple?? She said that, huh? I'm glad you liked it.

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Beli, come on over and watch the sunset from this side of the gulf!

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Redonkoulous!!!!

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

It's no use doctor, he's gone . . . you can't save him. They say it was due to electrocution from trying to take a bit out of his computer monitor and something to do with a picture of this insanely good looking grilled cheese sandwich!!! It took three EMT's and a police dog to pry the piece of monitor from between his teeth. They were just happy it wasn't an old CRT type screen. :(

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Wowwwww, that samitch is over the top! Makes me smile, then your cookin makes me hungry, ha ha ha.
    Very nice work. And I like your Margaretta, shaken and strained into a frozen glass, no slush, just pure ice cold goodness.
    The pic's of your St. Louis ribs has me dreaming of a rib cook. I have 4 in the freezer waiting for a special occasion or good weather, or both. :lol:
    Thanks Faith.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Too funny, Blair. That's what you get for looking at food pics in the middle of the night!

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    ClayQ, I don't like to water down the tequila! Shaken with ice is the way to go.

I'm glad you like the sammitch.

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    Faith, that is simply amazing, I could wolf one down for breakfast right now; the final shot is over the top. Are you coming to waldorf?
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Good Lord, Faith! What a sammie! :ohmy:
  • Egg Juju
    Egg Juju Posts: 658
    Options
    Ribs are always good... What a great sammy! My two favorite food groups... pork and cheese. :)
    Large and Small BGE * www.quelfood.com
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options

Ya, but just think of it Faith, no carbs or calories, I'm sure I would have died with a smile on my face. :laugh:

Blair