Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A question for you sausage makers

Retired RailRoader
Retired RailRoader Posts: 974
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
On a recent trip to the market I found a package of Smithfields Pork Fat Back. It came prepackaged in a 1 lb. Block but it said Cured with watr and salt.

http://www.hannaford.com/product/Meat/Pork/More/Smithfield-Fat-Back/pc/28450/c/46765/sc/46766/793672.uts?refineByCategoryId=46766

I do not think it would be good to add to pork butt for additional fat for sausage making but I figured I would ask anyway. Has anyone used this?

Thanks
Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.

Comments

• ResQue
    ResQue Posts: 1,045
    I have used it before, but not with pork butt, just be sure to give it a good rinse. Pork butt is already 80/20 which is perfect for sausage. Why do you want to add more fat?
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Fatback is used in some French and Italian sausage recipes, and many sausage recipes still call for additional fatty trim added to ground butt.

That said, I'm with Jagermeister. For me a butt is perfect for sausage. I do trim a little of the fat, and of course remove any tissue between the muscles.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    well, it's salt and fat. most recipes call for a little extra fat, and salt. i would back off on your salt and season to taste after adding the fat.

best thing to do though is ask the butcher if he has any pork fat available. get them in the morning, maybe 9am, and they will have some trimmings.

best thing is, it's often free.
    03_secret_ingredient.jpg
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Thanks to all.
    Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.
  • stike
    Most recipes call for 75/25 from what I've seen
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    i'd put it out for the birds.... who wants greasy sausage?..... makin it lean it the advantage of making it yourself....
  • stike
    greasy is one thing, proper fat ratio is another.

anyway, to each his own. just rest assured that it's highly likely the best brats, kielbasa, and even hot dogs you ever had were higher in fat than you thought. and it's not a case of a producer trying to extend profit and kill us all, but a traditional recipe being followed.
  • stike
    found this... from ruhlman and polcyn of course. kind of an ode to the sausage from the latest proselytizers of the movement:

"Embrace the sausage. It's an extraordinary luxury available to everyone, a perfect package of seasonings and juiciness unequaled by any category of prepared food." "As sausage advocates, Brian and I are defenders of the good name of fat. When sausages are delicious, it's usually because they're loaded with it. Too much fat tends to be the main criticism leveled at sausage, but saying you'd love sausage if only it didn't have so much fat is like saying you'd love water if only it weren't so wet. Fat is fundamental to the quality of a sausage, its succulence and flavor." and finally, rule number one of their "rules to live by": "be sure your sausage includes at least 25-30% fat"

if it's greasy, it's actually 'broken', and overcooked. proper handling and cooking will prevent this.

not to preach, just coming to the defense of fat. the best burger you ever had likely had 25% or more fat. the best steaks (ribeyes), beef (kobe?) are fattiest... bacon, prosciutto... al of things are conveyances for fat.

i'm rambling. just one more. when presented with a lengthy sophisticated french menu proposed for celebrating her career at a white house dinner, julia child replied "I like sausages". what the heck does julia child know anyway :laugh:

11_bratwurst_links.jpg