Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

More ribs

Options
SSN686
SSN686 Posts: 3,504
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Morning All:[p]Looks like a lot of people did ribs this weekend. I hadn't done any in quite a while so I decided to go with 6 racks of baby backs instead of the usual 3 (especially since my 26-year old son and his friend said they might be over on Sunday evening). As you can see I filled my medium. [p]P3060001.jpg[p]P3060002.jpg[p]The rib rack holds seven half slabs with the rest piled on. I have to cut each rack in half to get all to fit, but it worked out just fine (tight, but fine). Each rack is covered with a different spice. I don't remember all that were used, but I do know there was basic Salt/Pepper (the ones on top), DP RedEye, KenStones Witchy Red (in front, top pic), KS Gilded Splinters, KS Wicked Grin & I think the other was DP CowLick.[p]This is after about 90 minutes just before I flipped/rearranged everything.[p]P3060003.jpg[p]After another 90 minutes or so, I put them all into a disposable aluminum pan covered with more foil and put back on for about an hour. I originally planned on taking them out of the pan and finishing direct for a few minutes, but when I pulled them from the pan they were DONE! Using the trusty ThermoPen all were between 195 and 205. Setup was indirect, platesetter w/feet up holding a dip pan, with rib rack on the grid. Started with a dome temp of about 190 and it slowly rose to about 260 at the end of the four+ hours.[p]Pulled, plated and ready to eat.[p]P3060006.jpg[p]P3060010.jpg[p]My much better half (shown here with her "baby") said they were the best I have done so far. Who am I to argue?[p]K-Bopper.jpg[p]On Saturday did 12 chicken breasts for lunch variety this week and some nice rib eye steaks for dinner that evening, just got too busy to take some pictures.[p]Have a GREAT day!
Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    SSN686,[p]Great looking ribs, man. It's high time that I do some - been a long while. Need a rib rack, though - my homemade one got lost in the last move. Where did you get yours? Is it the standard BGE issue?[p]Thanks,[p]TRex
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning TRex:[p]If I remember correctly I found it at Lowes. I have had it for two+ years.[p]Have a GREAT day!
    Jay

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    TRex,
    I have the V rack from BGE which works great for multiple cooks. I have seen this same rack in the home section of many department stores and at various home stores. Might even find it a Wally World or in the MS line at Kmart.[p]Dennis

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    SSN686,
    Simply amazing. Beautiful looking ribs! Interesting how well the ribs cooked with your medium absolutely stuffed.
    1. You know your fire and the Tao of charcoal.
    2. You know and trust the egg.
    3. You know how to stack ribs.[p]Thanks for teaching me how to cook for a crowd. :o)[p]Clay