Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ping: Beli Re: Guisado des Res questions...

jeffinsgf
jeffinsgf Posts: 1,259
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Beli, you are my "go to" resource for all things authentic Mexican, so I hope you will answer a few questions for me. Last week my wife and I went to a favorite Mexican restaurant, and against my routine, I tried something new, Guisado Des Res. I had no clue what I was getting, but I was delighted with the dish. Delicious cubes of slow-cooked brisket in a thick, savory sauce/gravy. I came home and Googled for a while, and poured through my Mexican cookbooks.

From what I've learned, "Guisado" is loosely translated as "stew", but generally does not have as many ingredients as Yanquis would put in a stew. Correct?

All the recipes I found called for roast cuts, but my local restaurant used brisket. I made one today with brisket, and it was nothing short of marvelous. Is brisket traditional or no?

The recipe I used tonight was from an old cookbook called "Rancho Cooking", which has recipes from old Spanish colonial California and from the descendants of that culture. It was basically a Dutch oven treatment, which worked well with the Egg. What is the traditional Mexican approach to stews?

I'm thrilled with my new find, and want to perfect it before serving it to company or taking it to a fest. Thanks for your help.

Comments

• fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    I have eaten that several times at restaurants and love it, havent found a recipie yet, could I beg it from you?
    anxiously awaiting Belis response also
  • jeffinsgf
    Send me an e-mail. I'll scan it and send it to you.
  • Please share, sounds good. B)
  • jeffinsgf
    Okay, scanner is not playing nice, and someone else asked, so I'll type it here.

Guisado des Res

2.5 pounds beef round (I used brisket)
    1 tsp crushed cumin
    2 tsps dried oregano
    2 tsps paprika
    1 tsp black pepper
    2 tsps sea salt

3 Tbsp olive oil
    1.5 cups sliced onion
    4 cloves garlic
    2 Tbsps wine vinegar
    2 bay leaves
    2 tomatoes seeded, peeled and diced
    2 Anaheim chiles chopped
    3 cups beef broth
    2 russet potatoes

Cube the meat. Make a dry rub from the cumin, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper. Coat the cubes and refrigerate for 20 minutes to a few hours.

Heat a Tbsp of olive oil in a Dutch oven and brown the cubed meat (best done in small batches). Remove the browned meat, add some more oil and saute the onions. Add the garlic and cook for a moment more, then add the browned meat, juices, vinegar, bay leaves, tomatoes, chiles and broth. Simmer for 1.5 hours or until meat is tender. Adjust seasoning then add cubed potatoes and cook about 20 minutes more.

From "Rancho Cooking" by Jacqueline McMahan.

I used a diced tomato and pepper mix similar to Ro-Tel that I canned last summer in place of the fresh tomato. I also added a few morel mushrooms, a teaspoon of beef soup base (Better Than Bouillon) and a generous splash of red wine. Judge your potato quantity based on potato size. If I had put 2 the size I had in, it would have overwhelmed.
  • That sounds really good, Jeff. You've done a great job of selling it so I'll darn sure put that on the short list. With a little cool weather coming that might just be the thing to cook this weekend.

Take care buddy,

Bruce
  • jeffinsgf
    Talk about your tailgate candidates...this one needs to be on the short list. It takes minimal prep, can cook on virtually any hot surface (Egg, propane burner, white gas stove, hot plate...you name it), it cooks with minimal to no maintenance or observation, and fits into a tortilla for utensil-free consumption.

You guys got Texas coming to your house this year? You could do it then and call it Guisado de Bevo. :woohoo:

Oh, and one more thing that makes it perfect for you, Bruce, nobody wants it rare. :laugh:
  • Ah, I thought it was more like a stew...now I get it. It does sound perfect for tailgating and I'm getting better about a little pink (and even some pink "juice"), thank you very much!

Not sure what will happen with tailgating this year. Life has dealt a few tough hands of late and one of them is that my bus partner is moving away. If I were on campus still I would carry on but not sure what will happen without him to depend on.

Anyway, hope all is well with you and I hope to make it out to see you this fall.

Bruce