Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised Grid

Options
holleywood dawg
holleywood dawg Posts: 50
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok getting ready to cook my first Spatchcock on Wednesday and need a little help. I have an old grid that went on my weber. How do you make a homemade grid? I know I have read something on here about long bolts and big washers.

Comments

• mnwalleye
    mnwalleye Posts: 226
    Options
    I used bolts and washers for a 3rd tier. That works fine. If you are 1/2 full of lump I have just used "normal" level for spatchcock before also. The adjustable rig is the way to go if you plan on doing more raised cooking.
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    Options
    Fire bricks can also be used to raise the grid to the gasket level. Not fancy, but will do the job.

Barry
    marthasville, MO
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Bolts are great and work well. However, fire bricks, kiln stilts, pop/beer cans filled with sand, rocks even conventional bricks wrapped in foil will work. Use your imagination there are a lot of solutions to accomplish the task.

The advice of lowering the lump level and cooking at normal grid level will also work well. The only sort coming with this is that the bird will not be high up in the egg - not necessarily a bad thing.

The Adjustable rig (and spider) is a great accessory for the large egg. I use mine on 99.9% of all cooks. Check out tjv's Ceramic Grill store (on line shop).
    [url][/url] Here is a link to view the offerings Tom as available. http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/

This is an easy cook with great results. Remember to cook the bird to the proper temperature and you can't go wrong.

GG
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Easy enough, assuming you can get long bolts and broad washers, and that the old grill reaches to the edge of the fire ring. Get four bolts, eight washers and four nuts one for each bolt. Space the bolts as evenly as possible between the wires of the grill. One washer at the head of each bolt lays against the top of two wires. Another washer is pushed and fastened against the bottom of the grill with a tight nut.

It the old grill does not reach to the edge of the fire ring, so the bolt ends can stand on the rim, make another washer nut assembly at the bottom so the bolt bottom can rest on the grill at the lower position.

There was some discussion a few years ago about the need for using stainless steel. General opinion was that ordinary zinc cover bolts do not off-gas enough to pose any hazard. Stainless, tho costing much more, will last a long time
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    Here is a really easy way to build a very stable raised grid.
    4691016749_8c7d9aba4c.jpg
    P6110017 by Capt Frank1, on Flickr
    You need 3-4in u-bolts with an extra set of nuts and some oversize washers for each.
    Three legs give you a very stable platform :)
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    Personally I used Carriage Bolts, 3/8-16x4 along with the eight washers and nuts. I did use Stainless Steel. As for the washers , I used Fender Washers, 3/8x 1 1/2.

It works for me. Depending on what size EGG you got, you might use something shorter.

Good luck.
  • holleywood dawg
    Options
    I have a large egg.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 383
    Options
    I'm going to use this for now. Id rather put the $12 toward a new rack system than on the stainless bolts.
    DSC_5093-Edit.jpg
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    I hear you, but I sell fasteners.
  • Bear 007
    Bear 007 Posts: 383
    Options