Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thinking about brisket

bsantos_5
bsantos_5 Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm thinking about doing my first brisket. Everyone makes it seem so difficult though. I read the blog on playingwithfireandsmoke and watched some youtube videos.

Couple of questions.

1. I'll be cooking for about 9-10 people. How big should I look for?

2. I don't have the probe that is popular and don't really want to buy one. I don't do very many huge pieces of meat. Did a Boston Butt for pulled pork once and it turned out great. Is not having a probe going to make it more difficult?

3. I don't have the injection stuff either. Is it fine without injecting?

4. To foil or not to foil towards the end to help keep it moist and tender?

Those are my 4 main questions. Otherwise it looks like just put your favorite rub on a few hours before hand. Set BGE up for indirect at about 225 with some pecan and apple or your choice of wood (don't use too much wood though), and let it go for about 35-45 mins a pound till about 185 internal temp. Then wrap and put in a cooler for about 3-4 hours. While doing that if you bought a whole brisket use the point and continue cooking it for the burnt ends.

I probably over simplified it but let me know if I am on the right track. It's kind of hard to practice brisket because there is so much meat it is just too much for my girlfriend and I so I can only attempt it when I have a big crowd to cook for. I don't want them to eat leather though while I learn :laugh:

Comments

• TheLazyC
    TheLazyC Posts: 97
    I just cooked and ate my first brisket. My suggestion is get the largest one you can find no matter how many people. It runs out way too quick.

I did not inject, just dry rub the night before and wrapped in clear wrap,

I foiled and wrapped in towel and put in cooler for a few hours and it was still warm when we went to eat it.

You have to have something to get the interneal temp, I jused a $1.99 non digital one becuase my digital one did not go past 199 and I wanted to cook until 205.

Mine came out great and it is all gone, so I can cooking TWO more Saturday am starting at 6am to hopefully have it ready for that evening.
  • Rafter R
    Rafter R Posts: 120
    1: go with a 10 pounder, that should cover you and maybe even leave you some left overs depending on how hungry your crew is. buy choice grade or better. The one you select needs to be limber when you buy it. If it is stiff raw it will be tough cooked. oh you want packer trim not market. Packer has all the fat still on it and that is what you want. You can cut off any extra after you're done cooking. BUT you can not add fat you do not have.

2: No probes required. Cook at 225 F for 12-14 hours and you'll be plenty fine.

3: A good rub is all you need, no injection.

4: I did/do not foil, friends say they do it to keep from drying out, but they use 300 gallon metal tank smokers
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    1. I think the general rule is you get about a 60-70 percent yield from a packer, my rule of thumb is about 1/3 lbs of boneless mest per person, somewhat depends on the people and the sides.
    2. a constant monitering thermometer is not absolutely nessesary, you do want some type of thermo to measure internal temp as you get to the end of the cook,I would start at 45 min a lb, check internal after that. target would be 190-205, I do the fork test for final check, that simply means a fork inserted into the brisket will turn fairly freely.
    3. I dont inject, just a rub overnight or at least several hours before
    4. I dont usually foil, I like a crisp bark, so I just tent with foil and rest, however if it finishes early, foiling and wrapping in towels will hold it for a few hours. try to err on the side of early, there is nothing so frustrating as trying to wish a brisket done when it's time to eat.
    Another good thing to know is to make sure your egg temp is stable before you put the brisket in, then dont touch it. temp will drop a lot, dont worry, it will come back up

have fun, enjoy your brisket, holler if you have questions.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    225 "dome" is to low...I would suggest 250 dome minimum which would give you roughly 220-230 grid temp cooking indirect...not to mention maintaining 225 dome can be a bit tricky for those not well experienced with the egg..
  • Tripmaker
    Tripmaker Posts: 124
    Ditto what everyone else said. However, although a cable probe is not essential, I would buy one. You can get a basic one for about $30 or less. Once you taste your brisket and it rapidly dissapears, you will be cooking others and it makes life easier.
  • bsantos_5
    Alright folks, here goes.

Step 1: Big ole chunk of brisket

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0082.jpg
  • bsantos_5
    All rubbed up and ready to sit in the fridge for a few hours.

IMG_0083.jpg

Basis for the bbq sauce which will be use to bath the burnt ends and served on side if anyone wants.

IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0088.jpg
  • bsantos_5
    Glad I got up early and checked on it. It was 195 after about 10 hours. Since it was so early I'll probably have to throw it back on to warm it up later. I have the burnt ends back in the egg still smoking.

That hole in the end was a big chunk of hard fat I had to cut out. I'm not a butcher. :laugh:

IMG_0089.jpg