Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Problem with BGE thermometer

Options
Gabe
Gabe Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all,

I've been having some problems with my big green egg thermometer and I was wondering if people here might have some advice on the issue. I have two thermometers (got a replacement due to this issue), but the second thermometer has the same issue as the first.

- The thermometers are way off on temperature
- The thermometers seem impossible to calibrate. Specifically, I have used the boiling water technique, stick the thermometer into 100C water and make sure the needle is there, but if I were to actually do this, the needle doesn't seem to move all that far, so it would mean the base temperature would be something like 75C.
- However, the needle _does_ move. If I have my egg in a state that I know from experience is 600-700 degrees Fahrenheit, I the guage usually gets to 350-400
- The needle might be "stuck" somehow in both cases. Sometimes, while watching it go up quickly I hear a little "clink" and the thermometer needle jumps suddenly (rather than a slow move which I am used to).

Any eggers seen this before? One of the thermometers is pretty new!

Thanks,
Gabe

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

From your explination it sounds like the needle is catching on the face. I have one BGE thermometer (out of 4) that has that issue, but the needle seems to travel OK. I can see it jump and can see the pointer is close to or touching the dial surface. I don't see any way to correct the mis-alignment issue other than to mangle the face.

You should probably let the dealer know this has the same issue and ask them to get you another thermometer.

GG
  • transversalInactive
    Options
    Preferably, one of the new therms made by tel-tru....right Grampaw?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

Nope the old style BGE... :) Another issue is the red on the dial fades so the temperature is very hard to read. I don't cover the eggs and the thermometers are exposed to the elements.

GG