Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Portions for Freezing

Options
tjl5709
tjl5709 Posts: 76
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Have 4 butts going on the large, and they should be done around noon.

Plan is to freeze most of it in food saver bags.

I will be mixing the drippings with coke and a little rub for keeping the frozen stuff moist.

What size portions do any of you freeze up? Do you use 1 cup per person as a rough portion size?

What says you?

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    tjl5709, There is two of us so we pack what we think will be one meal for the both of us. We look at it like this if we might eat two samiches on buns we guesstamate the portions and go from there. Tim :)
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning tjl5709:

We normally put 4 cups of pulled pork (loosely packed in the measuring cup) to a food-saver bag...this works out to at least 4 sandwiches per bag (depending on how large the bun or our appetites :laugh: ).

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I put a couple good handfuls in each bag. Never found it necessary to add Coke for moisture. -RP
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    to each his own, but what I do is pack a measuring cup tightly and that is enough for us anyway for 2 sandwiches. Then rather than waste bags I'll package them 2 to 3 cups per bag as I also use pulled pork for meals other than sandwiches. Here's another rule of thumb that works for me...an 8 pound uncooked butt yields 9 cups of pulled meat, unless I get hungry while pulling! :laugh:
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    I portion mine out into 1/2 lb servings. It seems to work out ok.
  • smokeybreeze
    Options
    I did two 7 pounders last weekend, made a dinner out of it for 3 adults, 6 left-over lunches with the sides and 6 vacuum seal packages in the freezer.

Of the 6 vacuum seal freezer packages, only one was pulled, the other 5 were unpulled cross-grain slices from the butt roast - I wanted to have options with the unpulled portions.

There was plenty of natural juice so I didn't add any additional liquid and had to set the vacuum sealer on the 'moist', or 'liquid' setting to keep the liquids from getting sucked into the FoodSaver unit.

One of the butts was rubbed with lots (~3/4 C) of minced garlic and lots of coarse black pepper then Bad Byrons Butt Rub, the other was slathered with yellow mustard then a carolina style rub. They came off when the IT was 195-200, then foiled and wrapped in bath towels and placed in a sealed SteriLite container for ~20 minutes. Then I pulled and served.

This is the first time I actually did 2 butts and had anything to freeze. I'm curious to find out how the frozen samples turn out.