Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a brisket rub

Options
TheLazyC
TheLazyC Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Gonna try brisket number two this weekend. I need to make a dry rub for my brisket. No time to order and no local places to buy a rub, I need to mix up my own.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Here's a simple one

•1/3 cup brown sugar
    •1/3 cup salt (coarse salt works best)
    •1/3 cup paprika
    •1/3 cup chili powder (choose a hot or mild powder depending on your tastes)
    •1/3 cup ground black pepper
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is one, if you need a few more send me an email addy thru the forum.

Rub, Beef, Brisket, Texas Style, Belly

INGREDIENTS:
    1 Tbs salt
    1 Tbs black pepper
    1 Tbs red pepper -- ground, (heat to your liking)
    1 Tbs garlic power
    1 Tbs onion power
    1 Tbs sugar -- (white or brown)
    1 Tbs paprika

Procedure:
    1 Mix ingredients and rub into meat well and let the meat sit until it is dry.
    2 Put the meat into your smoker at 220F. Mop after it has cooked for about two hours and then every 1/2 hour.

Recipe Type
    Rub

Recipe Source
    Author: Billy Maynard

Source: Primo, Chef Arnoldi, 2006/07/31
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    saltpeppergarlicrub002.jpg

simple is as simple does......equal parts granulated garlic, kosher salt, coarse black pepper. you'll be surprised how well it melds with beef

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    This is Elder Ward's rub. It's my standard on just about every brisket I've done.

http://www.philcase.com/bge/recipes/BrisketRub.htm

mShark
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I've always heard that its a good idea to stay away from sugar, either brown or white, if you are doing a slo and low. And if you do use anything, use Sugar in the Raw or a turbinado. Am I wrong about this? I thought the sugar would end up burning.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TheLazyC
    TheLazyC Posts: 97
    Options
    Glad you mentioned that. That is why I asked. I have a rub I have been using on chicken and pork for a long time that has both brown and cane sugar. Then someone mentioned not for low and slow.

A friend gave me a container of homemade rub but would not give me the ingrediants (he is a competition cooker)but he did say it did not contain sugar when I was trying to guess the ingrediants.

Here is what I have been using:

4 - Salt
    4 - Sugar
    4 - Brown Sugar
    4 - Cumin
    4 - Garlic Powder
    4 - Chili Powder
    4 - Black Pepper
    4 - Cajun Season
    2 - Ground Red Pepper
    8 - Paprika
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    i dump white sugar and spread it out on the brisket and let it sit for a while in the fridge wrapped. then take it out and wipe anything off that didnt dissolve and on goes a pepper rubb ( i use an off the shelf lysanders spicey bourbon rub, seems to be mostly pepper) never had a burning problem with a low and slow. i dont measure the sugar, i literally just dump it on from the bag :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    I try not to grill with rubs or sauces heavy with white or brown sugar. From my experiences, cooking temps north of 325 degrees, the sugar (bbq sauces) burns.

Turbinado sugar can go higher on temps, so I keep a box of Sugar in the Raw in the pantry.

I don't have a problem Qing with sugar as the cooking and food temps are generally below the 300 degree mark. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    Options
    I use the turbinado sugar, but at the temps you are cooking your brisket at 250ish, you aren't going to burn any sugars.