Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maintaining Temp at 200 degrees

Options
Harley Butts
Harley Butts Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Another newbie question. We have had our BGE for a short time and have fixed chicken wings, burgers, beer can chicken, and several pizzas with much success! We'd like to use one of the recipes for a prime rib roast on Sunday, but we (my husband) is having a hard time maintaining the temp at 200 degrees. Is there a secret to this? Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Go with 250º dome temp, which will be about 225º grid temp. The BGE has a sweet spot for the 250º range. ;)
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Do realize that if you have the grill at the felt line, and are placing anything under the roast, such as a drip pan, the grill temperature will be more like 175 if the dome is 200. And with a cold roast in there, the air near the meat will be more like 150 for several hours.

It is in fact very difficult to maintain a temperature as low as 200. I've managed 180 for a few hours, but then the fire went out. Typically, the vent openings would mere hairlines. If the small fire does not pass from coal to coal, dur to gaps in the lump, the fire will wane.

Some people have managed low temps by placing a partially filled starter chimney in the Egg, and just burning a handful of lump. But that does not work for very long.

I don't know what recipe you are using, but I'd be inclined to go with something hotter, at least 300.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Go 250. 250 dome is about 200-225 where the meat is

My impression from most others, and my own experience, is that the egg cruises more easily at 250
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Adam is right. You will struggle all day trying to maintain 200, but 240-250 is quite easy to maintain. Just allow the egg to settle in at that temp before you put your meat on to cook.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • transversalInactive
    Options
    From my experience with egging rib roasts, and I've done a few, all of the forgoing responses are dead on. Anything below 250 gets "iffy," and you don't wanna go thru what you have to go thru if you loose your fire. Good luck with it!!
  • Stuworld
    Stuworld Posts: 57
    Options
    Make sure you calibrate your dome thermometer before you do a low cook! Do not take it for granted. :sick: