Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Convert

Options
Bobbert
Bobbert Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello Everybody!

I have been lurking as a guest on this site for a month or so. I had struggled to decide if I wanted to go with a BGE, then when I finally convinced myself, it became time to convince my wife. After her go ahead (with an imminent B-Day, it was easier than expected), I was wondering should I go with the XL or the Large. Finally made my decision and went with a large – and it is being delivered tomorrow!

I actually had trouble falling asleep last night because I kept thinking of all the wonderful dishes I would be making, and trying to keep all the voluminous tips and recipes straight in my head (like I said earlier, I had been lurking on here for a while).

So, time to cast aside doubts, realize I’ll probably ruin a few cuts of meat along the way, but just plow ahead, learn from mistakes, and enjoy my Egg, and get to know some new friends here.

Bobbert
Greensboro, North Carolina

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Welcome aboard, Bobbert. You made the right choice. You are gonna love your Egg. Life changing.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Slick
    Slick Posts: 382
    Options
    It's almost like having a baby! You're life will never be the same.
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    And you never know when you will have the uncontrollable urge to "have another"
    :woohoo:

Welcome. B)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Welcome to our little cult :laugh:
    Matters not what size you buy today as very soon you will get another....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• transversalInactive
    Options
    You're gonna love it!! Life's fixin to change!
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    Welcome Bobert,
    Just a little advice make sure you have let the fire go for at 30 to 45 minutes before you put food on to cook. If you don't the food will have a very nasty smell because the lump needs to burn off the VOC. Just take your time and you will be fine. If you take your hand and wave it over the top vent right after you light it you will be able to smell the smoke and if it smell nasty the fire is not ready, your nose will know.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Welcome Bobbert!

That's right, just cook away.(easy on the temps for the first few cooks) Experience is the best teacher...and this forum is the best teacher! :cheer:
    Any questions just give a hollar right here and someone will help. Lot's of talented cooks, really the best people in the world are eggheads, without a doubt!
    Join in, cook up some terrific BBQ and most importantly, have fun!
  • LPcreation
    Options
    From 1 new guy to another, welcome bobbert!

And I don't mean to take it too far off topic but I thought the great thing about lump was the fact we COULD cook within 10-15 minutes.....am I wrong in assuming this?
  • Bobbert
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I plan on my first cook on Friday to be some ribs. My sone and I love ribs, and he will be home from UNC this weekend (one last stop home for refueling before exams).

I plan on practicing Thursday on building a proper fire and how to get a hang on temp control.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    Sorry about your son having to go to UNC. GO PACK!! :laugh:

Congrats on the EGG and welcome to the forum. FYI. There is a Carolina EGGFEST in NC. There is a link on the top of the page. I think it's near you in High Point. If it's not High Point it is in Winston-Salem. I really forget. The event was postponed though, but may be rescheduled. I'm hoping so. Used to do a bit of work in GB, near Sedgefield/Jamestown.

I think ribs would be a great dish for you son as he preps for exams. Ribs on the EGG are fantastic.
  • leeflash
    leeflash Posts: 66
    Options
    What is the time frame on starting your lump to putting on the meat?My temps are up to 600 in about 15 min.Steak goes on 3min each side with rest in foil about 15 min.my complete cook is within 30 min,on a 1 inch thick ribeye,med rare.I read earlier whrer there was a smell in the lump smoke and you needed to wait about 30 min before cooking.Is this true? :ermm:
  • Bobbert
    Options
    I live in the Sedgeville/Jamestown area. Small world, huh?

I'll keep checking on the Carolina Eggfest. I was dissappointed to see it postponed for now. I was ready to buy tickets.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    I used to go the the Omnova solutions plant, which is next to the .... I think it's thomasville bus plant. I forget the current owner. I think it used to be Burlington industries back in the day prior to Omnova. IT's likely you worked there. Spent many a day there. I think it's on Sedgefield road, just down from the Mc Ds. Love driving by that golf course. It looks sweet!!!! Maybe I'll see you at the EGGfEST if it happens. My wife booked us at Great Wolf down in Concord on the original date so I was not happy, but then it got postponed. So as long as they have it that will be great.
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    Options
    Welcome Bobbert!! you found the best cooker and the best forum around!!! if you need help with something, someones always around, have fun and take pictures!!
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the forum.

For your first egged ribs, I would highly recomment the Carwash Mike method.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=1207

You can't mess them up if you follow his recipe. I hope you and your son will enjoy egging together.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Bobbert
    Options
    Andrew,

I work in Winston-Salem, but live in the Jamestown area. It is truly a beautiful place. Close enough to the city, but far enough (and wooded enough) to have a rural feel. The best of both worlds to me.

I hope I see you at the Eggfest when it happens. I'll drop you a line when I hear if and when it is rescheduled.

Bobbert
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    welcome....

going to see a man about a second egg tonight...you will be hooked soon enough. :)
  • Bobbert
    Options
    Thanks Faith.

I have printed the recipe and will hope for the best. I will practice low and slow temp control tomorrow after it is delivered.

I can't wait!!
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Options
    Welcome! Don't be afraid to try or ask,all the folks here are outstanding. Good Egging,Randy
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    I'm right with you on the whole lack of sleep waiting for the egg to be delivered. When the egg arrived I had to catch a flight a day later for a week. Talk about torture.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I'm the one that said give it 30 minutes. do you have to wait that long every time no you don't if it is used lump left over from another previous cook it will most likley have burned off all the nasty smell. I also recomended that one should take a little wiff of the smoke and if it smell like nice good ol BBQ smoke you are good to go, if it smells all nasty and ackrid you should wait a little longer. Trust me your nose will know and if the food goes on to soon you will not like the taste. One time at an Eggfest Meet and Greet I grabed a bacon wraped scallop that was cooked too soon and I could not get that tast out of my mouth all night. :angry: The point I'm trying to get across is when you are new take your time and don't rush things.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. Let the fun cooking begin! :laugh:
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx