Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New EGG looking for purchase advice

Options
Scotsman
Scotsman Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking for some advice on initial investment for a new egg in NJ. I am going to purchase a large egg this weekend and want to make sure I buy all the necessary gear. I called around and a large egg is around $750 but I know I'll need a nest but don't really know what else I will need. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• camp124
    camp124 Posts: 1
    Options
    I just became an "egghead" - purchased the medium sized version.

Definitely get the the nest & a plate setter - these are basic necessities. If your going to bake, later the pizza stone is nice too.
  • G-squared
    G-squared Posts: 35
    Options
    A nest is nice but before you make that investment and if you are handy you might want to make a table. Also the plate that you use for indirect cooking and smoking is a must, and a stone if you are intending to use it for baking.

Have fun!!
    LGE
    CIA-81
    Garner, North Carolina
    Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all-Harriet van Horne
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    You might want to check out www.ceramicgrillstore.com before you spend to much on factory accessories. Tom manufactures gear to accomplish the same things more efficiently [i.e. no need for a platesetter]. Call him, tell him what you intend to cook, and he will put you on to the right stuff. He is good people. :)

You do need a digital thermometer [thermopen is by far the best] and a remote meat & pit thermometer [Maverick 732 is a great product].

You do realize that buying the egg is just the beginning, pretty soon you will be looking for a storage closet for all your stuff and then, of course, will come the second EGG :P And on and on and on :laugh: :lol: :cheer:
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    Having bought one, I would recommend taking a pass on the BGE plate setter and, instead, take a real close look at this page on Cermaic Grill Store site: http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/shop/shop/index.php?categoryID=95. The large customer combo is very, very nice. The price is a little intimidating at first, but well worth it. It's got the BGE plate setter beat 6 ways from Sunday.

After that, some sort of very good meat thermometer. Many people praise the virtues of the Thermopen. Based on ohters' recommendations, I bought one and have to say it's been a really useful tool.
  • Brimo
    Brimo Posts: 53
    Options
    Just went through the same process myself. As far as accessories myself, I opted to go with the Ceramic Grill Store (CGS) large customer combo set to get me started instead of the BGE placesetter and raised grids. Seems to give a lot more options as I want to do more things down the road. People on the forum give CGS product some pretty good reviews and Tom the owner will not try to over sell you on what you need to get started. Good luck, it been fun as I am early in the learning stages myself.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you honestly don't need much. if you like toys and have the cash, then you will be happy getting a few things maybe: platesetter, raised grid, ash tool, grid lifter

truth is, though, you can go it alone for a good long while until you bump into something you truly 'need', and even then you can usually make it or get by with something temporary.

raising the grid is good for cooking things direct, but with a little more distance from the lump (so that chicken skin won't burn while it cooks, for example). you can raise the grid with three or four bricks placed standing on edge around the fire ring, and putting your stock grid on that.

or you can buy a Weber charcoal grate (18" dia) at your big-box hardware or Ace hgardware. add a couple legs made from bolts and washers for feet, and you have a cheap raised grid, no waiting no mail order, no begging your dealer.

the platesetter allows an easy indirect set up (block the heat of the lump directly, so that things 'roast'). you can do that with a raised grid over your regular grid, and with the same brick under it, to block the heat from the lump.

although i goofed around for a year with other things to stir the lump, the ash tool was a good purchase. it's hefty enough to manhandle the lump when stirring, and sized to scoop the ash.

i had a gridlifter, and even bought a cheaper identical one at a restaurant supply store. have misplaced both, and i just lift the grid with the ash tool.

as for devices which control the airflow and dome temp? they are some insurance, but fires go out with them also, and they are no guarantee. the egg does just fine once you 'get it', and will cruise all night at 250 if you let it and don't overthink.

welcome to the forum.

oh.. get a thermapen, too. you are done cooking by "time and temp". that will be the single best thing you do for yourself, even if you don't buy an egg: cooking to internal temp....

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/thermapen/splashproof_thermapen.html
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Scotsman
    Scotsman Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks to all for the advice...as a newbie, it can be quite overwhelming but ultimately, I'll get the hang of it and can't wait to cook my first steak on this my egg. I'm also looking forward to using the multiple recipes for Ribs, pulled pork and finally being from NJ I can't wait to try to make my own wood fired pizza.

Again thanks for all the helpful advice.
  • Grilldog
    Grilldog Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm originally from Jersey myself and I know what you mean. I make great pizza on the egg, I use a platesetter and a cooking stone.

If you are still in NJ I won't tell you my secrets about purchasing a BGE and getting a discount from BBQs Galore because I believe when they went bankrupt a couple years ago, the new owner (In Asia) closed all of those stores. However, shop around. Anyone selling the egg will match the cheapest written quote you will get. If you know a location operates under a "quota" sales commission and it's a slow retail month, wait till the last day or two of the month, find out if they have the egg in stock. If so, you should be able to Barter for at least 10% off, Free Assembly and Free Delivery. If the store uses a Delivery Service ask the store manager if any of the sales reps have a pick up and would like to earn $20.00 and deliver it. Also, you should be able to get 10% off all and any thing in the store with the purchase. If they carry their own brand of a product you should be able to get 20% off of that.

Also, most of these stores have a 1 year interest free credit program that you can utilize if you really want to go hog wild.

Hope that helps.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i would amend my comments by saying that i agree with the others re: the versatility of the stuff at the ceramicgrillstore.com

i bought my platesetter long ago, when i thought it was the only real 'easy' option for indirect set ups.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tjl5709
    tjl5709 Posts: 76
    Options
    stike wrote:
    i would amend my comments by saying that i agree with the others re: the versatility of the stuff at the ceramicgrillstore.com

i bought my platesetter long ago, when i thought it was the only real 'easy' option for indirect set ups.

My plate setter sits 98% of the time since getting an adjustable rig. Way more functional. Save your money and look here first. When the bug really bites you and you become an obnoxious egghead (you most likely will), then you can gather all the other stuff, and another egg as well.
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    Options
    Hey Scotsman - Before it's all over, you'll have more $$ tied up in accessories than you have invested in the egg(s).
  • WokOnMedium
    WokOnMedium Posts: 1,376
    Options
    stike is absolutely right about the Thermopen (well and the rest of it too), that shift in awareness from time and temp for doneness, to cooking to an internal temp will completely do away with overcooking things, which in and of itself will improve your results....even as awesome as the Egg is, you can still overcook stuff on it!
  • Raised on Webber
    Options
    Hate to gang up but I also just got an adjustable rig and the BGE platesetter I bought was a waste. Ceramic Grill store is a must.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I got the Egg as a gift from my mother in law. She bought the Plate Setter. It hasn't been in the egg since I purchased the stuff from Ceramic Grill Store. Still think I may use it, but unlikely often. ;)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Grilldog
    Grilldog Posts: 21
    Options
    well, I'm just going to make one last comment. I don't live near Denton, TX 76205
    and the Ceramic Grill Store. I also checked out what the adjustable rig is. Maybe my research is wrong but I'm not sure how the adjustable rig is replacing the platesetter for getting the upper portion of the egg (where the meat is) down to a low temp like 325 to maintain a good smoking temp? Perhaps I'm lost in this discussion. Anyway, I just wanted to state that.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    That's where the Adjustable Rig is more universal then the plate setter. There are so many things you can do with the Rig that can't be accomplished with the plate setter. I am in no way trying to insult you but please do more research on both before you make your ultimate decision. The plate setter is great, the rig with the proper setup is way more flexible. ;) It will cost you more with the stones and the setup that is desirable for you but in the end it will be worth it.
    :)
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Cagey
    Cagey Posts: 86
    Options
    If you plan on moving your egg at all, get an Egg Handler. In my short time here, I have seen more than one egg broken while it was moved. With an egg handler the probability of this happening is greatly reduced.

Protect your investment first, and then get all the other "fun/nice" things for your egg.