Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What\'s the best part of cooking Briskets?

Chubby
Chubby Posts: 2,955
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Giving the flats away and keeping the best part for yourself...lol!!!

Gott'a big pan of "Burnt Ends" with smokeroasted garlic gloves on the fire most of the afternoon!

fdcfe51c.jpg

Just about 45 more minutes...and I'm not going to be responsible for what happens... :woohoo: !!

538bfad9.jpg

It's gonna be me, and them...some cheap white bread and a jar of
"Texas Pepper Works" Candied Jalepenos...all laid out on some butcher's paper!!

Utensils... :silly:

Not this time Baby!!

Evans
I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!

Comments

• I've never had burnt ends but you've convinced me I need to try.
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    That looks INSANELY YUMMEE! :)
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    I'm there.... Pass the saltines.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Just passed Bucc-ees bringing the Buttercrust :laugh: That is some righteous meal!
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • I thought I was hungry before.....that looks good!
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    mmmmmmmmm, someone doesn't know the meaning of restraint. B) Yum, yum, yum! :lol::lol::lol:
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Sounds like Chuby :laugh: Really knows how to have a great time & that's all that matters
  • Smokinb
    Smokinb Posts: 103
    Looks delish. What's the liquid in there? I had brisket for lunch, but it wasn't mine. Very good macs BBQ.

I want to try one and looked at them in the grocery tonight and was expecting a cheap piece of meat, but it was more than I expected.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Joan, where do you get the Buttercrust? Last time we were in San Antonio they said they had closed down! Are they still open in Austin?

Spring Hen
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    I have seen Butterkrust at Rudy's. The Richter family sold the business in the 90's. I have not seen the bread stocked at HEB or Randalls here in Austin.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    ok. stupid question. is the garlic a regional thing? not seen it before, and it looks fantastic.

when they chop the ends in texas, what's the 'traditional' treatment? yankees need to know

i hav to agree, the ends are sometimes better than the thing we're actually cooking to begin with. spare rib trimmings anyone?

(also good to see a food pic! :laugh: )
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I can see a Avalon Demo in exchange for a large dish of that :laugh:
    LOOKS good man...
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubby
    Let's talk about how long.., (and how many miles) that "demo" might last...lol!!!

Thanks
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Chubby
    It's not a Texas thing that I'm aware of.

I did see a show a while back with Adam Perry Lang when he was hawking one of his CookBooks and he was smokeroasting garlic with BBQ pork and it looked yummy!

Sometimes I just fish it out when I'm done and smash it up with some butter and herbs for a garlic bread schmeeer!

I do like the garlic smoke roasted in with the Burnt Ends though...(we keep a lot here as Ann is decidely Italian,and she tells me it's gooood for me in many ways..lol!!)

So...since I plan on heing around long enough to punnish her severly for marrying me, I eat up...lol!!

Brisket in Texas is,(in my mind) like Chowd'a in the NE...everybody has their own definite idea of what iot is...and everybody thinks their right!

Less is more when it comes to "true Texas" BBQ i think one could correctly say! Lot's of places will chop a little of what they call "WET",

(which means the "Point" with some fat) in with your Sammy...if you're getting a Chopped BBQ Sandwich! Though I'd say most folks here eat mostly sliced Brisket!

Other joints will use the Ends to flavor beans...or chili.

Asking for sauce with your BBQ in some Texas towns will get you damm near run out!! :woohoo:

As far as "a food pic"...I did it just for you!! :P

Evans
  • Chubby
    I'll not go into any of my experiences with "restraints" here on this Family Forum!!

Gotta go...I think Lady Gaga's here...lol!!!

:ohmy:
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i was surprise to see you owned a grill. :laugh:

thanks for the explanation re: the ends.
    brisket is in the queue to do soon, and i'll try the garlic with the ends.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Chubby
    I'd sure like to make it up your way some day!!
  • Chubby
    LOL!!!

I have a few out back i like tinkering with, but I cook for your approval!

;)

Own it!!!
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC01645a.jpg

We're having some interesting weather patterns, today Mother Nature just couldn't make up her mind... Last week it was like Seattle weather.

DSC01604a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • I am happy to report that Burnt Ends are a Kansas City thing!!! Every time I've back in Kansas City to see my mom and stepfather, I always make a point to go by Fiorella's Jack Stack BBQ for an order of their Burnt Ends.

I've yet to try Adam Perry Lang's recipe in his book. I've been thinking about trying it out, but I'm just afraid they wouldn't taste like what I'm used to. That and I cannot find a packer brisket anywhere out here in Northern Virginia. I can get a flat from any number of grocery stores.