Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first pork butt

Options
LinebackerU
LinebackerU Posts: 34
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I smoked an 8 lb pork butt this weekend, and the results were fantastic! The meat took much longer to cook than anticipated (around 22 hours), but part of this is because the dome temp fell to 180 for a few hours. I fixed that and kept on cooking; here are the results:

Mustard slather and home-made rub:

DSC04767.jpg

Setup:

DSC04773.jpg

DSC04781.jpg

DSC04784.jpg

Comments

• TRPIV
    TRPIV Posts: 278
    Options
    Looks good. 22 hours?! How long was it at 180?

What was you intended temp?

What lump did you use? What sides did you serve with it? :lol:
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Awesome! :woohoo:
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    You nailed it!! Good eats!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • transversalInactive
    Options
    You are now a certified butt nailer!! Sure looks good.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Beeyootiful bark! Most certainly worth the time it took.
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Options
    That looks very tasty,how did you eat it?thanks for sharing,Randy
  • LinebackerU
    Options
    TRPIV wrote:
    Looks good. 22 hours?! How long was it at 180?

What was you intended temp?

What lump did you use? What sides did you serve with it? :lol:

Actually, my largest plateau seemed to be at 160. It sat there for a good...7 hours? The climb from 160 to 190 didn't take that long, and I pulled it from the grill at 190. I'd intended to let it rest for awhile, but we were too hungry at that point.

This was cooked with Royal Oak (American) lump and some Cowboy-brand hickory chunks. I filled halfway up the fire ring, and I've got about 40% of that lump still remaining!

Served on potato rolls with home-made BBQ sauce (ketchup-y kind, not vinegar kind) and carrot-raisin salad.
  • wallyjar
    wallyjar Posts: 123
    Options
    Funny about your 160.

I had my first cook Sat and put on 3.7# pork shoulder at 8AM with 225degrees at the grate.

Stayed within 3 or 4 degree of 225 all day. At 2 hours per pound thought we would eat around 6PM. Meat got to 160 about 3PM and stayed till after 7 PM then took till 9PM to get to 195.

Brand new Marverick and was surprised at the 160 plateau and the 13 hours for 3.7#s

Tasted great after I pulled last night and have it in 190 oven now to finally get to eat.

Kept looking for 180 or so and went right through it after stopping at 160 for so long.

Nothing I read here in the last few weeks prepaired me for this!!
  • greendean
    greendean Posts: 50
    Options
    I know that it is off the topic, but you must be a penn stater with a name handle like that
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    BEAUTIFUL hunk-o-pig! :)
  • LinebackerU
    Options
    greendean wrote:
    I know that it is off the topic, but you must be a penn stater with a name handle like that

Class of 2006!