Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Sear Bone in Ribeye

SmokeyPitt
SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The boss wanted baked taters and steak the other day. I asked her to pick up some choice bone in ribeyes.
DSC_0164.JPG

I decided to try a reverse sear. I put the the taters on at about 350. While the taters were on I made up a drip pan with some water, a little wine, and various herbs and spices. I seasoned the steaks with just a little kosher salt and coarse pepper.
DSC_0168.JPG

After 45 minutes or so, I dropped the temp back a little under 300 and added the steaks over the drip pan.
DSC_0169.JPG

I pulled the steaks after about 10 minutes per side. Internal temp of 120. I foiled the taters and the steaks, and let the egg heat up. I threw the stakes back on the flames about 2 minutes per side:
DSC_0173.JPG

I think the steaks turned out pretty dang good.
DSC_0174.JPG

I'm not sure if the whole "wine bath" thing added anything to the cook, but they sure were good. I think the reverse sear works nice when you are cooking other things. The only downside is they are a little hard to flip because they want to fall apart (especially ribeye).

This cook made me want a CI crid :). I still didn't get those perty grill marks.
Thanks for looking.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Forget the grill marks. Hell, they could have car tread marks all over them and I wouldn't think twice. Looks good!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I've heard many times, you can't taste grill marks but I still like 'em :)

Even with my cast iron grates, it is still important to get them preheated. It takes a while to get them loaded with the heat energy.

Either way, dayum your steaks look tasty! The kids are out tonight so Alexis and I just did bruschetta for dinner. It seemed like a decent light meal at the time but now that I see your steaks....I'm hungry!
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    That looks reeeally looks good.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Thanks everyone. I was pretty pleased with them. I would definitely try this method again.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.