Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first pizza

Options
IQthere4iam
IQthere4iam Posts: 106
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Made my first pizz last night. It came out really good but...

I bought a 16 oz ball of pizza dough from the grocery store and it said to let it rest out of fridge for an hour. I did for 1.5 hours and wound up being kinda touh to roll out and very springy. I used to run a pizza joint in Key West in the 90's and cant remember what I did.

After the dough rises do you flour the outside then roll it? or does it need to stay more stickey?

Also the crust was thin and yummy and was very filling, but almost to filling. I dont know how to describe it but it was almost like it shold have been a thicker crust but I rolled it to much maybe.

here she is.

IMG_0298.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

oh yeah and finished with key lime cheese cake from cheese cake factory :evil:
IMG_0301.JPG

Comments

• Clavin
    Clavin Posts: 91
    Options
    I make my own dough using Alton Brown's recipe, oops, sorry, Alton Brown's "application"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BhVPgllLW8

good eats.
  • Gullzway
    Gullzway Posts: 35
    Options
    I'd say use enough cornmeal/flour to keep it from sticking to the peel/stone.

Looks good, may need to cook a little longer, till the crust has some brown on it.
  • IQthere4iam
    Options
    The under crust was almost to done. I was thinking the top didnt brown up from being so far from the edge of the airbake?
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Looks good, IQ. Pizza is an on going challenge with me, one I'll be happy to never get perfect so I can keep on trying. Does look like the top needed some more heat or more time. How did you have your egg set up and at what temp? There are plenty more eggsperienced people who could help you out more with it.

One thing I do want to try next time I do one is to brush on some melted butter or garlic butter on the top edges of the crust when it is almost done. Think that might be good.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• IQthere4iam
    Options
    i did plate setter legs up, grate on top, air bake on top of that. temp was about 425. I was worried baout burning the bottm first time out.
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Options
    Nice looking pie!What temp did you use on the egg?thanks for sharing,Randy
  • LinebackerU
    Options
    It looks like you got virtually no rise out of the dough. That, combined with the difficulty you had working it, might just indicate that the grocery store dough was low-quality. You'll do much better if you make your own!

Also, you might try going with the plate setter legs-down, and then some spacer (like the BGE feet) between the plate setter and a pizza stone (or even your airbake). That would provide a bit more protection for the bottom of the crust.