Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For those attending Texas Eggfest

Options
boston_stoker
boston_stoker Posts: 794
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If you are looking to try some Q on the journey, check out this excellent blog.

http://fcg-bbq.blogspot.com

Comments

• Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Have followed this blog for awhile now and have always found my own opinions of cue to be very similar to the reviews posted on FC.....until this week. Yesterday, I tried the only 6 Star ranking, Franklin BBQ in Austin.

Maybe it was an off day for Aaron and company, but the brisket did not impress me, and the sides were pretty ordinary. The sausage was EXCELLENT and unique...according to Full Custom it has some beef heart in it. Also good were the three very different sauces. In fairness, I did not try the pulled pork or ribs...next time perhaps. But I also waited 40 minutes to order as the line was formed well before opening time at 11 am, which is usually a good sign.

I ate with some other first timers who has similar thoughts on the brisket....head to Luling and Lockhart and enjoy the best!

But hey, just my $.02
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    Austin Smoker wrote:
    ....head to Luling and Lockhart and enjoy the best!

Hey Brad, did you notice that Kruez, Smitty's, and Black's in Lockhart were not even listed on the Texas map? Makes me wonder about the validity of the site.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• boston_stoker
    Options
    Actually, all three of those tasty places are on the map, you just need to zoom in on Lockhart to see them.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I stand corrected. Thank you sir. :blush:

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• LFGEnergy
    LFGEnergy Posts: 618
    Options
    Have ALWAYS been a Kreuz Market (Lockhart) fanatic, even before they moved to their new digs. Roy Perez, Pitmaster, is a BBQ legend in my world!!!

However, made the side trip over to Louis Muellers in Taylor, Texas a month or so back, and the brisket and sausage were absolutely as good as any I have had in all of Texas. I Really love this place, even if Taylor is a bit off of the beaten path!!!!

Either is a great meal!!! Try one, or Both!!!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I've been following his site for awhile as well. Sometimes I agree with him and sometimes I don't. Hard to tell if it is a difference in opinion or whether one of us just went on a bad day. He did turn me on to the Pecan Lodge at the Dallas Farmer's Market. Their bbq is not too shabby. ( I could do better ;) )

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings