Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick Remote Thermometer

Options
Dimple's Mom
Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just now getting around to cleaning up a room with some Christmas gifts that never got properly looked at. My son gave me a remote thermometer and upon examination, it turns out it's wireless and even has voice alert! On the box it says, "Maverick, Voice Alert Remove Oven Thermometer & Timer" and then it says "Redi Chek Wireless."

So I'm pretty excited to use this thing. Anyone have one and can give me some tips? I hate reading instructions. I just stick the probe into the meat, put the other end into the base, and then carry the little walkie-talkie type thing around with me?

It's got little buttons on the walkie talkie thing. And I guess I have to program in the temp I want the meat cooked to.* I wonder what the 'meat' and 'taste' buttons are for.

*I have always cooked chicken breasts to 165 but lately I've seen people here who are cooking them to 160 or even 155.

Comments

• Smokinb
    Smokinb Posts: 103
    Options
    Sure hope u kept the directions. U need to set the temp ranges for your grill, the a target done temp for your meat. Then you can leave it alone and watch it cook without watching it cook. The alarm is very loud tho.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    Yes, I kept them. I don't know what you mean by set the temp ranges for my grill. Is that something particular to the egg? I assume I have to set the target temp for the meat. Guess I'm going to be forced to read the directions. :blink:
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    What smokinb means is that with those thermometers you can set the range of temperature that your grill can fluctuate. So if you are smoking something you set it for example for a range of 225-260. Then if the grill gets below 225 or above 260 the alarm goes off so you know to check the grill to lower or raise the temp. Good luck and just be careful with the on off switches, every Maverick I have had has had really cheap switches.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    Really, it does that? I am just liking this thing better and better by the minute. Can't believe I took so long to check it out.

Thanks for the heads up on the switches. I'll be cautious with them. And I won't let Mr. Clumsy Fingers use it at all!
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    If it has two probes it does that, one goes in the meat the other attaches to your grid to give you grill temp.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    Oh, I just have the one probe. Still looking forward to using it.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Gwen,
    I cook chicken breast to 155 and let them rest under foil for 5-10 min. During that time the internal temp will go to 160-165.
  • Dimple's Mom
    Options
    I think I'll try that, Rich, esp with boneless breasts. Mine are usually so dry. It's very hard to cook them to just 165. They go from not quite done to overdone in seconds it seems.