Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some flavorful help

Meat
Meat Posts: 233
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My Mom is starting a new venture in life. She is opening a mobile food trailer that she plans to take to different venues. In her area, hot dog wraps seem to be a big hit. She asked me to come up with some flavor combinations (slaw dog, chili dog, etc.), so I thought I would come here and see what ideas y'all might have. I would have gone to Zippylip first, but as we all know, he is not very creative when it comes to food. :laugh: :P

Thanks in advance. Joe

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Maybe she could do a version of this, very popular here. -RP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXaXy4aeJt4
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    For me, the quality of the dog is #1. I will go out of my way if I find a place that has a really good wiener, like Vienna Beef.

For inspiration, check:

http://hotdougs.com

The basic dog is the best seller there, but the specialities are completely over the top!
  • BajaTom
    BajaTom Posts: 1,269
    Try a New York dog and a Chicago dog. Try a bacon wraped dog. Chili dogs and coneys are popular. I would go all beef. Where are you locted? If your close to LA go and Pinks. Good luck
  • The original hot dog wrap...the francheezie.
    IMG_3711.jpg

Sorry, I know this probably doesn't help, but that's what came to mind when you said hot dog wrap.

Honestly, hot dog wraps? Like a hot dog and toppings/condiments in a tortilla? I find the idea odd. Generally the wrap crowd tends to be the yuppie/wasp crowd (not intending to be offensive here, I'm a wasp after all), looking for an easy way to feel health conscious (white bread is bad, apparently). And I just don't see how that merged with salty, fatty, nitrate-laden hot dogs. Chicken wraps? Okay. Veggie wraps? Definitely. But hot dog wraps? I think we have a nominee for WTF of the week.

Then again, if the wrap crowd shuns white bread, but embraces shredded cheese and tons of ranch dressing, then I guess one can't be too surprised by the low-carb tubesteak diet.

Don't get me wrong, people can darned well eat what they like, I'm just curious about how this came into being.

Let's explore from the perspective of the stereotypes of my hometown Chicago (home of the best damned hot dog around...Vienna Beef).
    A. Lower-class uneducated (probably one of TheDirtyBurger's students) south sider has a hot dog.
    B. Yuppie north sider tastes hot dog...thinks "this is pretty good, but you know how we could make it better? Let's replace the bun with a whole wheat tortilla, get rid of the hot dog, and fill it with bean sprouts, avocado and grilled skinless chicken breast.
    C. The new wrap explodes in popularity on the north side, and slowly expands south.
    D. South sider tastes the new wrap and think, you know what would make this better? A hot dog.

And there you have it...the hot dog wrap.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    i think its all where your from, is that a sub roll, a potato bun, wheres the soft sides you smear butter on and fry them ;)

2005232506.jpg

if you take the hotdog out, lobster is good ;)

100_0578.jpg

heres how to build a heart attack :laugh: 1/4 pound pearl stiffed with surkraut, brown sugar, mustard

100_1824.jpg

big hunk cabot exra sharp cheddar

100_1825.jpg

bacon and more bacon

100_1826.jpg

egg it and serve with thousand isle dressing

100_1828.jpg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • You easterners with your Pearls might be a little odd, but I think we can agree that the New England style bun is a superior hot dog delivery vehicle. Anything with the option to butter and fry is a fantastic innovation.

Can't forgive you for violating your lobster with mayo, though.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    if you want even more flavor with the rolls, add some bbq rub to the butter before frying ;) i did go overboard with the mayo on that one :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    The kimchi dog is gaining popularity in a lot of places I've been.