Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on Pulled Pork

BBQ Commander
BBQ Commander Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've had great success with pulled pork and now I've been asked to make a couple for a party. I will have to start a couple of days in advance. Is it better to pull the pork as soon as it's done and put it in the frig or leave the roast whole and pull it on the day of the party?

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    the collagen will set up again if you refrigerate it. i always pull it when done
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • I always make it and pull it ahead of time and gently reheat it for the party. It actually reheats quite well.

I make a thin vinegar based sauce and pour over the pulled pork and reheat in large pans right before the party, in a foil covered pan.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • I might be doing it wrong.......

BUT, I only pull what I'm going to use at a particular meal. The rest I leave whole and sealed in a zip lock bag with as much of the air evacuated as possible in the interest of keeping it moist without having to repackage it for refrigeration covered with sauce. The best method I have found for reheating it without compromising flavor or texture is steaming it in a ricer. It's amazing how it tastes like it just came off the grill.......and it stays moist. At any rate, it's what works the best for me.......but it is NOT the only way to do it, and it might well not be acceptable to most.
  • EmandM'sDad
    EmandM'sDad Posts: 648
    I pull immediately then vacuum pac. Reheat packages in simmering water. Tastes like it just came off the egg.
  • Wrap it up in foil, then in towels and put in a dry cooler for a couple hours... THEN pull it - perfect!!!