Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long will it burn?

Options
TheLazyC
TheLazyC Posts: 97
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
How long will an XL BGE burn when filled to the top of the upper firebox using BGE Natural Lump at 225-250 degrees?

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    I know that a large, filled to the top of the fire ring, will burn at 225 for 23 hours. I wish I could tell you how much lump was leftover.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Turk
    Turk Posts: 114
    Options
    I don't have any experience with the XL but I did a low and slow with a large this weekend. Filled to the top of the ring. Lit the lump at 10:30 pm on Saturday and went all night at 230. Pulled the butt at 5pm Sunday and I still had enough lump left for a quick cook. Total time from putting the meat on until it was pulled was 18.5 hours.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Molly, I've got 35 hrs on the large
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Oh, that's cool. I had, as you probably know, 68 lbs. of pork butt. Never paid attention to what was left.
    Have a great time this weekend!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    Options
    I did 2 briskets back to back on my XL. I filled it with lump and it burned for 24 hrs at 230degrees. I used a DigiQ.
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    I have gone over 30 hours with back to back smokes at 240 with some lump left over.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    longer than anything needs cooking...

a large would go 40+ hours easily. can't imagine an XL
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I have had a large cook for 28 hours straight...butt, then ribs, then pizza...lump was still left but I was tired... :P