Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Old lump?

Options
bpric
bpric Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm hoping to fire up my egg this weekend for the first time since early winter. It has spent the last few months under a tarp which was under a few feet of snow. Is the lump already in the egg going to be fine, or is it likely to give me problems because it has taken on a lot of moisture? I'm guessing that it'll be a bit harder to light, but the excess moisture will be driven off pretty fast. Or should I just dump the lump and start fresh?
-- Bryan

Comments

• Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    Don't dump it, you might consider adding some fresh to it though.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

The safe route is to clean and get dry lump into the eff.

If your lump under tarp has not absorbed moisture from the ground or sides by the ground it should be found. "Old" has not been a problem for me. I have some lump that was 4 years old and it started and burned fine.

I would light some of the lump in your egg and see how it starts up. If it doesn't start or is extremely slow to start then either add fresh lump or close down and reload.

GG
  • field hand
    field hand Posts: 420
    Options
    Try it, it should be ok. I'm using charcoal that I bought a year ago and stored in a barn. I haven't noticed any differences in the burn characteristics over the year. Good luck.

Barry
    Marthasville, MO
  • Mr. & Mrs Potatohead
    Options
    I'm in GG's camp. A tarp can collect and trap moisture (I ruined at least 8 cord of fire wood with a tarp over winter a few years ago).
    Pull what you have, use fresh (or at the very least add some new lump) and dry out the pulled. It's fine, but may need some fresh air after being "trapped" for months. Which brings me to ask....
    Why haven't you been Egging all winter??? What's up? You don't have a snow shovel?
    You have missed out on numerous cooks that, perhaps, could have won some sort of prize....With somebody :whistle: