Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Standing Rib Roast at $2.99/lb

Options
Dutch
Dutch Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
In the Akron/ Cleveland Ohio area Acme Foodstores is selling their standing rib-roasts for $2.99/lb.
I just bought six eight pounders at a savings of $5.00/lb.
What would be the best way to freeze them, and how long will they keep? I might pick up a few more at this price.
I do have a Food Saver, but are the bags big enough for an eight lb. rib-roast?

Comments

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Options
    Dutch,
    Use the gallon size roll and make your own bag.

• Citizen Q
    Options
    Dutch,
    If you go back for more, ask the meat guy if the roasts are shipped in "cry-o-vac" bags and buy them right out of the box and straight into the freezer. If you can't fit the ones you've already purchased into your largest food saver bags, cut them into smaller 3 or 4 rib roasts or slice them down between each bone to make rib-eye steaks. If you really want to keep them whole, wrap them up as tight as you can in 3 or 4 layers of saran, squezing out as much air as possible and then wrap in a couple of layers of butchers paper to protect it from tears and punctures. To keep the bone tips from puncturing the saran from the inside, just wrap them first in enough layers to keep them good and dull. This will keep them pretty well protected for up to 4 months in the freezer. [p]Cheers,
    C~Q