Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Permatex Ultra Copper

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just saying here...if you were wanting to use Permatex Ultra Copper silicone for "whatever" I just received this response about cold weather application.

Many Thanks for your interest in Permatex products
Yes .. you can apply .. at temperatures between
(20 to 30F ) .. Temperature ... Ideally ...(should be 50 to 80 F ),
When working with silicones ..(they are moisture cured )....below or above
this .. Temp. range ..removes that element.. you must give 24 hours to total
cure ... If able to warm surfaces to 40 - 50 F range ...will help ..for
better bonding ..across surfaces..
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Hahaha. I did my first one last November. Figured it was too cold, so I rolled the egg from my deck into the laundry room and, after it warmed up, I installed the gasket. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Not saying anything about "Permatex Ultra Copper" or gaskets but, If I wanted to put a gasket on my egg I think I would do so in the warm weather months or bring the egg inside for the job. You have good information there. It go me thinking if you get the egg ready for a gasket in cold weather first warm the egg then do the job. You know if you had to you could set you egg up like some do for a cold smoke while waiting for the Permatex Ultra Copper to cure.
  • Always Smokin
    Options
    I just used it and its about 30 on my screened in porch out here in Rochester NY.
    I bet ya its fine , Ill let you know Sat nite when I start a pork butt
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Good luck to you. ;)
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Which goes to prove that San Diego is the #1 city to change your gasket in. In the 70s for the past 2 weeks, and no change in sight.

But you can't all stay at my house.

Judy
    Judy in San Diego
  • Beaker
    Beaker Posts: 293
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good one Judy! It was 66 today here in Denver, I think I need to throw the battery back in the scooter and take a short ride...
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    RRP, I need to order enough rutland gasket material for two larges and a small, please tell me how to go about it.
    FYI, the cap on the oil resovoir/metering pump on my 200 Yamahe OB was cracked and leaking, over $200 replacement cost since you have to buy the whole assembly to repair a .50 cent part. Ultra copper fixed it, no problem. :)
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    Ha! That Ron is good for a lot of things. ;)
  • srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    One source for what you want is [url=url=http://www.amazon.com/Rutland-Stove-Gasket-Tape-90/dp/B000H5Y5RW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1296400644&sr=8-2]Rutland Inc 5/8"X 84" Stove Gasket Tape 90[/url] $3.78 + s/h. I ordered two last week and received them a couple of days a go - total time was about 9 days.

I installed the first one yesterday using the Permatex Ultra Copper with the ambient temperature at about 45°F. Let it set up over-night and now I'm cooking it at about 250°F. Did it this way once before and it setup right nice.
  • TedW
    TedW Posts: 16
    Options
    Hi all,

I have a gasket fried on my Large Egg. BGE is glad to send Nomex to me. I'm interested in installing the highest rated gasket possible that won't kill me. Is the Permatex solution higher rated than Nomex?
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    TedW, Welcome to the forum. :)

I don't know how many responders will see this thread unless like me they subscribed to it. You should start a new post asking this question.

Almost two years ago I applied a nomex gasket to my large BGE and today after many many cooks it's still there doing it's job and it hasn't come loose. I cleaned the dome and base and on the final wipe I used rubbing alcohol. Before I used the gasket I put it in the dryer so it would shrink all it will shrink. And sprayed this on the gasket and base and dome and let it get tacky before applying.

unnamed.jpg

I recently got some ultra copper permatex it is supposed to with stand up to 700F degrees and I am going to put a new gasket on my other large egg I have been using for well over a year with no gasket. A lot of people will tell you you don't need a gasket and it's true. As long as you can control your egg temps and put it out when your done cooking and that has been pretty much the case for me. The only thing is the cushion is no longer there so be careful closing the dome on the base. You may have to reset the dome on the base by loosening the bands and pushing the dome against the base and tighten the bands.

Good luck and take pic's and post here on the forum. Lots of good advice here. Tim

I strongly suggest you start a new post on this subject you will get a heck of a lot more suggestions and responders than on this old post.
  • TedW
    Options
    Great advice. I will do this. Thank you
  • 2Fategghead
    Options
    You can look this video over. I think it has 3 parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EoTwyLFCro
  • TedW
    Options
    Thanks for that. I don't think I'll be doing the fiber gasket. Just the Permatex silicone gasket.