Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cowboy Lump @ Lowes $5

Options
elzbth
elzbth Posts: 2,075
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
If you like it...."Special Value" 8.8 lbs $5.00 (regular $7.31) while supplies last....I've used it before and will probably pick up a few bags. For $5.00 it's not bad. :woohoo: I've been using the store brand from The Fresh market and like it very well. I think they recently changed though because it's definitely better than it was a year or so ago.

Comments

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Hi, Elzbth, thanks for the heads up. I use either Cowboy or Publix Greenwise, which is $6 a bag. I will head to Lowe's to check it out.

I have been wondering about the Fresh Market Lump, I could not find any reviews about it. I will try that too, on your recommendation. Thanks.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    2-3 years ago, they changed from using millwork scraps to using lumbermill slabs, it appears. I heard that the housing market slump meant there was less prodution of millwork molding, etc. and Cowboy needed a new source of raw material. I don't know if this is true or not, but I thought the original Cowboy was reasonably good charcoal and didn't deserve the bad rap it sometimes got.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Thank you, Naked Whiz. I have looked on your site for a review of the fresh market lump, but was not able to pull it up. They have changed the packaging and it's now in a black bag.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Options
    I was about to post that :laugh: I just picked up 8 bags, should last over a week. I use Cowboy regularly and like it, you don't have to cut down a tree to make good charcoal.
  • EggcitedinNJ
    Options
    Elizabeth, thanks for the heads up. I just came back from picking up six bags.
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    Options
    Thanks Elizabeth! Saw in their ad today that they had lump charcoal for $5, but it didn't say what brand. Will be heading there over the weekend.
  • wmd36
    wmd36 Posts: 58
    Options
    I have found the Fresh Mkt Lump to produce tons of sparks. I tried some Tru-Cue (i think thats what is is called??) from Home Depot, seemed pretty good.
  • mtbbq
    mtbbq Posts: 14
    Options
    Wal-Mart (at least the local one) has Royal Oak (USA) for $6.40 for 10 lbs. which makes it .70 more than the Cowboy and I find a far better product.
  • elzbth
    Options
    I like RO as well....unfortunately I refuse to shop at Walmart. Can't recall what I paid for the last bag I picked up at Home Depot - it's been a long time. I'm definitely going to pick up some of the Cowboy Lump - not sure if our Home Depot has it or not, but if they do, they will match the Lowe's price. I'm always looking for a deal... :laugh:
  • elzbth
    Options
    If you really like Cowboy Lump....Lowe's has an on-line coupon $10 off $50. Soooooo, you could actually get it for $4 per bag if so inclined. I got my coupon via Facebook link. :)
  • wallyjar
    wallyjar Posts: 123
    Options
    $10 coupon great idea. Got 4 bags of Cowboy anf a few other things toi use the coupon