Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temp control

Options
cbroadfoot
cbroadfoot Posts: 1
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Last night I cooked Salmon on the BGE. The recipe called for cooking the fish at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. After lighting the egg I got the temp to 350 but never could get it to stabilize. Over the 15 min or so cooking time it varied from a low of 300 to a high of 400. I was constantly fiddling with the lower damper and the daisy wheel on the dome. Any suggestions on a simple way to control temp or am I going to have to go through a learning curve here?
Thanks in advance :sick: for your input!

Comments

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Sounds like you didn't give your egg enough time to stablize before putting on your fish. I plan well in advanced and let my temp sit for at least 30mins before I throw on food. Also, you will need to move down the learning curve to know how to setup your vents to get close to the temp you want. I'm pretty good with mine now. Just takes practice. Good luck.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    cbroadfoot, Welcome to the forum.

A learning curve for sure.

Lite and stabilize but, you are also doing one more thing you are waiting for the bad smoke to clear. Once you get your egg on or near 350F dome let the ceramics stabilize for some time like 30, 40, 60 minutes. Now wave your hand over the dome vent and smell the smoke. If it smells bad you should wait. Let the smoke go till it's clear or has a blueish haze. You will get the hang of it. ;)
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I agree with 4runner, you might should wait a little longer before you put food on. Also when you put food on you will see a drop in temp due to the cold mass of food, but it should come back to temp in a few minutes.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    hatwe to say it... but constantly fiddling with it is part of the problem. it takes a while to respond, a few minutes at that temp. so you tend to overshoot and undershoot because you are trying to make it happen quickly. that's exactly what happened. it kept bobbing and diving.

still, 15 minutes of back and forth between 300 and 400 is basically 350. no worries.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Dnorman
    Dnorman Posts: 117
    Options
    I get a few people coming in the store that try stabalizing to early, for instance when it is the starter stick that is fully lit and giving a false reading. I have found about three fingers wide on the bottom draft door and the daisy wheel open gets my egg set at 350. A newer Egg might be a little less.