Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie gasket question

Options
ndbass_2001
ndbass_2001 Posts: 8
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is it normal for the very inside edge of the gasket to char a little bit. It's only along the back edge of the back half of the lower bowl. Used the egg for the first time tonight and did some awesome burgers and bacon wrapped jalapeños.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Austin Egger
    Options
    In my opinion it is not good. It seems like the gaskets that get burned off quick are the gaskets that hang off on the inside since they are getting the direct heat and flames. I was talking with a fellow egghead at Salado and he suggested that you cut off any that hang over on the inside to avoid that whole gasket getting burned up. I will be doing that on a new one that I just got that is hanging off on the interior. Does yours hang off on the inside of your egg where you said it is getting charred?
  • LinebackerU
    Options
    It depends upon the temperature at which you cook, but the felt gasket WILL burn off eventually.

I destroyed my gasket the first time I cooked pizza: when I opened the Egg to burp it (lifted the lid by an inch for a few seconds) I watched the gasket melt and then get crispy.

I was cooking with a dome temperature of about 700 degrees at the time, and all of that heat was simply funneled through the small burping opening. I doubt that it mattered whether my gasket was hanging inside the grill.
  • MusicMan78
    MusicMan78 Posts: 182
    Options
    Burnt gasket from high temp pizza cook
    DSC00572.jpg
    Copper Permatex from local auto parts store
    DSC00574.jpg
    Solution :laugh:
    DSC00590.jpg
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    My felt lasted about 3-4 weeks. All 350° cooks or less. Replaced it with a Rutland which has lasted well over a year with NO troubles at all. Looks almost new in fact.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• ndbass_2001
    Options
    A little bit. I will look to trim it back. I was cooking at 350 for about 50 minutes and then 650 for about 10. Maybe the dome needs to be adjusted a bit more too.
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Options
    Some people experience gaskets that burn up fast. It's not uncommon to have to replace your gasket within a years time. Nothing to worry about though the egg can cook with out the gasket. :)
  • jaymag_87
    jaymag_87 Posts: 111
    Options
    So...is the RTV "gasket" double thick or did you build one on the lid also?
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Mine was in bad shape after 2 weeks,and a pizza cook. I replaced it with nomex from the dealer. It survived it's first pizza cook last night...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • MusicMan78
    Options
    nothing on the lid, just picked up the slack on the bottom using a jig I made from some plexiglass I had in the garage.
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    Options
    Follow the music man to the auto parts store... Permatex! You can also use it to secure a Rutland "Grapho-Glass" gasket from Ace Hardware... Gives more cushioning but may require adjusting the bands. (Probably a good idea anyway).
  • jaymag_87
    Options
    How long did it take the RTV to set-up and dry, before you were able to close the lid?
  • MusicMan78
    Options
    one hour to dry and 24 to fully cure. I did it in two steps. First a "base" layer and let dry. then ran a bead of sealant around it in the gaps and then placed plastic wrap and lid on. It made a mess and it looked alot worse after the second treatment but it doesnt leak at all now. Maybe you will only have to do one treatment.
    When I do my large egg I will allow it to dry for an hour and then place the lid on so that it can form to it but not stick because the top will be dry to the touch but middle will still be pliable. Hopefully that will eliminate the need to fine tune it a second time.
  • jaymag_87
    Options
    I don't need it yet, but I'm sure I will.

Thanks for the info.