Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is this a food safety issue?

Options
2»

Comments

• srq2625
    srq2625 Posts: 262
    Options
    I sure learned a bunch of stuff from this thread - thanks all.

In the FWIW column, I did not, do not, and will not have plans to buy the cooker. Where I can, I like to buy USA (end of my political message:) ). Besides, I now have two BGE cookers. The new one is getting broken in this evening, see page 103 of the BGE cookbook (gee, I'm starting to sound like a phan-boi).

Interesting comment about stickers all over everything in PRK (that was so funny). I've seen these stickers on a small number of things here. I would guess it's because it's cheaper to sticker all of one's product rather than try to figure out where each item is going to be sold.
  • Dnorman
    Dnorman Posts: 117
    Options
    Thats right, there is no risk for cancer using this product in any other state...

But on a serious note, they outlawed lead paint and lead solder because of a leaching effect that it could cause.

I have one customer that bought one of these from the lumber store next door, the fire box lasted one cook and it broke, he took it back gat a new one cooked a couple more times and it broke again. He was told to come to us to get new fire box.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    giant, huge, monstrously outsized difference between paint and glaze. it isn't paint. lead is an ingredient in the glaze.

next question becomes; "under what circumstance will lead in a glaze come OUT of the glaze?" followed by "and how will it get into your food?"

the mere presence of lead in the glaze implies nothing.

all the talk about fumes, chinese toys, etc. is just people not focusing on the actual question.

instead of people throwing out guesses, how about a volunteer to EXPLAIN how it is unsafe? i'm begging. seriously. but no. it seems every issue here like this come down to "i don't know, it's a wild guess, but better safe than sorry". that's answering without giving an answer

sorry. just pissy today, and foolishness like this gets the better of me. i hope someone doesn't ask if it's ok to use aluminum foil in the egg, or my head will explode. :laugh:
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Options
    To me... and this is just how I read it.... it's the glaze on the ceramic.

With regards to why... probably the same ultimate reason they use melamine in baby formula or lead in children's toys.......
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Can I use aluminum (tin) foil in the egg?

How about this for your answer - do not, under any circumstances, ingest any chips that may, at any point in the future, come from the glaze and you'll be just fine.

In fact, that's good advice for life - don't eat paint, glaze, or pretty much anything else that isn't food. Common sense, it's not just for breakfast any more.
  • MemphisQue
    MemphisQue Posts: 610
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :woohoo:

:evil:
  • BigBadger
    BigBadger Posts: 461
    Options
    .... but I saw this girl on "My Strange Addiction" on tv eat glazed pots and cigarette ash 'n stuff... by the way, what's this I hear about Aluminum foil?!!
  • Fidel
    Options
    One of my many mottoes is if you do stupid sh!t you deserve what you get.
  • stike
    Options
    "but what about the lead coming off in your hand" "or the lead getting hot and i breath it in" "or lead can't be safe and i don't want it around my kids"

when you ignore logic, you can simply come up with question after question that implies something is bad, without ever have to explain why it is.
  • stike
    Options
    lead has been used in glaze for thousands of years...
    there are many types of glazes, and many uses for the articles that are glazed. not all mean the lead is capable of leaching out of the glaze.

god forbid anyone actually look into this stuff. better we sit around and speculate freely.
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    What my point was, if you are going to likely raise millions of dollars to start a company which hopes to sell many of these grills and their accessories and eventually return a profit to the investors, then why would you go down a road that would require a label to be placed firmly on the front of your product warning of lead issues. The point is not whether the lead in the product could harm you, rather it is the perception it creates in the average consumers' mind and thus will they be able to sell enough of these grills. Often the big box retailers will require these vendors to buy back certain levels of unsold inventory. Seems to me I would have avoided that business risk altogether.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    a chip might pop of the glaze and a loon might eat it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    This place used to be a lot more friendly

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    Options
    me too. i agree. i'm not defending their business sense. i am actually pretty leery of stuff like that from china. i'd never buy anything you'd eat from or keep food in that was glazed and chinese, just in the likely chance it has lead in it.

but in this case, it's not any of those things. on the surface it seems to be, but three minutes considering it, and it's not a food safety issue.

glazed bowl? different thing. and it would have been a different thing too if it was lead paint.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    srq2625 wrote:
    I sure learned a bunch of stuff from this thread - thanks all.

In the FWIW column, I did not, do not, and will not have plans to buy the cooker. Where I can, I like to buy USA (end of my political message:) ). Besides, I now have two BGE cookers. The new one is getting broken in this evening, see page 103 of the BGE cookbook (gee, I'm starting to sound like a phan-boi).

Interesting comment about stickers all over everything in PRK (that was so funny). I've seen these stickers on a small number of things here. I would guess it's because it's cheaper to sticker all of one's product rather than try to figure out where each item is going to be sold.

FYI......if you weren't aware, BGE's are made in Mexico.
  • Fidel
    Options
    WHAT?!?!?!?!??

I may go outside and smash mine.
  • stike
    Options
    define "made"

:laugh:
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    Funny...I think everyone should plan to set fires to their Eggs tonight.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    FWIW, I doubt this company raised "millions of dollars" or has "investors" - if it's a Chinese knockoff, they probably paid a bunch of kids the equivalent of $0.10 / day to try to do their best to reverse engineer the Egg, any patent and / or copywrite infringements be d*mned... :evil:
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • stike
    Options
    be careful the green glaze very likely contains copper oxide, and/or zinc oxide....

copper oxide is toxic when heated, just so you know

if it's fired in mexico, who knows what they put in it, right?

better safe than sorry. :evil:
  • MemphisQue
    Options
    Many of these companies are western and US backed enterprenuers who secure manufacturing contracts over in China with Chinese sub-contract manufactures. There are thousands of these Chinese manufacturing companies ready to make anything and everything. You are right that the cost to manufacturer overseas is used as their competitive angle in their business model. It's a very commonly used model by US entreprenuers. The Chinese still lack the design capablilities & marketing contacts with US retailers/wholesalers to make significant inroads on their own. Although that is beginning to change.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    they should change that to read made in america :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    Options
    the lead is only in the glaze.... in trace amounts.... most of which burned off in the firing process.... i'd wait for it to go on sale and consider buying it.... rr
  • Fidel
    Options
    Listen here now - your rational thought and sound judgment are not welcome here.

(obligatory smiley-thing so you know I'm joking)

:cheer:
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Options
    I agree wholeheartedly that the company may very well be backed by, and/or even located in the US (though I wouldn't exactly call them "entreprenuers")

However, whether it's the case of them being backed by Western $$, or it's a wholly owned Chinese / overseas company, their business model is what I refer to as the "vulture model" - meaning, they've stolen something that has proven to be successful from some other business, changed it slightly, and then pushed it out there to the marketplace to try to capitalize on the brand recognition of the original (or to capitalize on the "fad" that is current, in other cases).

Perhaps I'm more "old school" when it comes to business ventures, but if you're gonna take someone else's idea, at least IMPROVE upon it, rather than just blatantly copying it. Even the president of the BGE "borrowed" the idea of a kamado-style cooker & improved upon it.

Anyway, just my $0.02 (hops off of soap-box) :P
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • stike
    Options
    quit mucking things up with logic. logic is frowned upon in these parts
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    The ceramics are cast and finished south of the SW border. Not sure where the band/spring assembly/hinge is manufactured, but believe it to be in a different facility than the mexico plant or Atlanta office/warehouse(s).
    You already know this, why you picking on me? :P
  • Zyme
    Zyme Posts: 180
    Options
    So I'm a transplant to Kalifornia, and a lot of things make me shake my head--the lead labeling is a good example.

But the calorie labeling is actually helping me pick things out. I know better than to just use calories. Nutritional values matter too. Still i skip the combo meal and just get the burger, for example. Baby steps, lol!
  • Boilermaker Ben
    Options
    Hillbilly-Hightech wrote:
    Your profile says you're in VA, so I don't know why they'd put that sticker on a product there... however, they have those stickers EVERYWHERE in the People's Republik of Kalifornia (PRK)...

Because if the product is shipped to California, it has to have the prop 65 label. Many companies who do business in California routinely label all their products regardless of where they're going, simply because of the repercussions if there is a mistake. Thanks to the bounty system California uses to encourage private lawyers to search for Prop 65 violations, it's just too costly to make a mistake.

I used to have to deal with prop 65 all the time in a previous job. We used to get calls from panicked customers all the time. "Our employees think your product is going to give them cancer." Funny thing is, those calls came from every state EXCEPT CA. Consumers and employees in CA turn a blind eye to the ubiquitous prop 65 warnings, because they know they mean nothing. Sure sign of an effective warning system.

I remember travelling to San Diego and noticing a Prop 65 warning sign on the entrance to our hotel. "This hotel contains substances known to the State of California to cause cancer or reproductive harm."

I also remember painting our house right before we moved in (this was while I was still in the job where I had to explain why Prop 65 is a load of BS to customers on a weekly basis), and my wife brought a can of the paint we were using and asked if we were at risk. My response? "No dear, that's only if you live in California."